Champagne-like bubbles in secondary, normal?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

osu6251

Reaction score
Amber ale that spent 7 days in primary, I then racked to secondary. It has been in secondary 5 days now and there are lots of tiny champagne-like bubbles floating to the top. If I shine a light into the carboy I can see the bubbles floating up like champagne. Is this normal?

Thanks

The yeasties are farting as they eat the remaining sugar. Same way your beer gets carbonated, except in this case the CO2 is able to escape out of the carboy. Its fine :)

I have a question related to this. Are champagne like bubbles any indication of anything after being bottled for two years? I only ask because I had one bottle that tasted like sparkling cider vinegar with the small tiny champagne like bubbles. Other bottles have tasted fine but had a similar carbonation. I'm concerned that other bottles might also be contaminated with aceto bacteria. I'm thinking it was just that one bottle and it's just the Nottingham yeast creating a lot of CO2 during conditioning.

Bubbles are indicative of the presence of gas. Nothing more. Nothing less. They do not indicate fermentation activity or infection. Liquid will off gas and reabsorb gas with temperature (or pressure) change alone. Please do not mistake bubbles for anything other than the fact that you have created a gassy liquid.

Use a hydrometer to determine whether fermentation is active (no change in readings over the course of 3-7 days means fermentation is complete).

Use your palate to determine whether an infection is present (it is highly unlikely that infected beer will hurt you, but it is somewhat likely that the flavor will be unpleasant).

Latest posts

Back