Sterilize Question.....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Psymon

Reaction score
I cleaned my plastic beer kit drum with hot water and a soft cloth yesterday and then drained it and let it dry.....

Today I added Sodium Percarbonate and filled it to the top as per the instructions.... Only thing is the instructions say I should leave it soaking for 24hrs and I dont want to wait!

Does Sodium Percarbonate really take that long to work??

Sounds like it is something like One Step and creates hydrogen peroxide. This is also the active ingredient in Oxy Clean. Looks like it should take 5 minutes.

Hi. Sorry I can't directly answer your question, but did want to point out a thread that might helpful to you - it's a sticky thread in the equipment and sanitizing forum. The thread is called something like "cleaners and sanitizers we use". We don't sterilize, rather we do two steps - clean (get rid of the crud) and sanitize (get rid of random wild yeasts and bugs). I think that thread might be helpful to you -cheers!

Sodium Percarbonate and sodium percarbonate based products (one step, oxy clean and PBW) are cleaners. One Step is not recognized as an approved sanitizer. You should first use the cleaner in a soak like you are doing. You should then rinse thoroughly and sanitize with a proper sanitizer. There are a lot of options open, but if you cant get StarSan or Iodophor, use properly diluted bleach. Its not the best, but will do in a pinch.

Back