Keeping party pig cold?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mullimat

Reaction score
I was thinking about getting one of these to take to a picnic for next week so i could get some friends to try my home brew. How would i keep it cold once i got it to the picnic? I mean i guess i could just throw it in a cooler and take it out everytime i want to serve from it but that just sounds like a PITA. Also, I can just take beer that's already kegged and carb'ed and just siphon it into the party pig right?

Here's what you do:

Go buy a "Walmart special" styrofoam cooler (the straight sided one with the red handle).
Cut a three inch hole in the side of the cooler, about in the middle of the wall.
Slide the "snout" of pig through the hole.
Ice down.
Add lid.
Dispense from the side without having to remove the lid.

We call them "Pig Pens" and yes, you can use that!

:cross:

As a bonus, you have a handle to carry it by.

Good luck!

Spyk'd said:
Here's what you do:

Go buy a "Walmart special" styrofoam cooler (the straight sided one with the red handle).
Cut a three inch hole in the side of the cooler, about in the middle of the wall.
Slide the "snout" of pig through the hole.
Ice down.
Add lid.
Dispense from the side without having to remove the lid.

We call them "Pig Pens" and yes, you can use that!

:cross:

As a bonus, you have a handle to carry it by.

Good luck!

+1 on this method. You can buy them pre cut from www.partypig.com

Cooler.jpg

I've got an outdoor event coming up where I want to have two pigs outdoors, so following the instructions in this thread I picked up a couple of these coolers:
http://www.walmart.com/ip/LIFOAM-22-Quart-Styrofoam-Cooler/16537214

And cut a hole in the end using the pig's attaching ring as a guide. Haven't actually used them yet as I wanted to cut the holes before I filled the pigs, but it looks like it should work. The pigs are a snug fit, and it may take a bit of careful work to get them in.

20140529140301_foryx2s82t.jpg

20140529140537_ki73bwo1zj.jpg

As long as the holes are slightly larger than the ring, I think that this will work for me.

Latest posts

Back