Kegs from cold to room temp.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

quickly

Reaction score
Just wondering if I force carb a keg at 34-40 degrees and then take it out and store it at 60-68 degrees what affect will this have on the beer. I've looked but haven't found any conclusive info.

Thanks

Other than being flat, I can't see any issues. I'm not too knowledgeable on the whole carbonation issue. CO2 gets absorbed into beers easier at colder temps. Now, I'm not sure if this means you'll be undercarbed once you go to room temp...I'm assuming it does. Also, my question would be...when it goes back to cold, will it need to be recarbed, or would the previous cold carb still be good?

I usually seal my kegs and then let them sit at room temp for a few months (I have a nice lineup so I don't have to be impatient). I've never carbonated them though.

You think that the beer would go flat. I didn't even think of that I was more concerned with creating off flavors/storage issues from the temperature swing. If the keg is sealed it should hold carbonation right? or am I wrong?

your beer will not go flat as long as your keg is sealed up. It will condition faster at room temperature so depending on the style this may be good or bad but it is generally not a good idea to have big temp changes often but doing it once won't be bad :)

With summer around the corner it would be nice to have a keg that I could just throw into a car and go to a cookout,keg all carbed up, throw it on ice and I'm good.

Thanks for the response

With summer around the corner it would be nice to have a keg that I could just throw into a car and go to a cookout,keg all carbed up, throw it on ice and I'm good.

Thanks for the response

depending on some variables, that could be done.

If it were say a pale ale, I would want to make sure it was in the next at room temp less than a month to stay semi fresh, if it was a porter, I would say go longer if you want. If it was a lager, I would say you should be lagering it to begin with :) It's all relative but sometimes fresh beer is better in the hop world.

your beer will not go flat as long as your keg is sealed up. It will condition faster at room temperature so depending on the style this may be good or bad but it is generally not a good idea to have big temp changes often but doing it once won't be bad :)

Now that I think it through, you're right. I kept thinking about how co2 absorbs into beer differently at different temps and figured it would some how escape from the beer. I suppose if it's sealed, it will just re-absorb though.

Back