Why Copper?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

iron_city_ap

Reaction score
I'm looking for a low cost way to make a wort chiller. With the price of copper being what it is, I was thinking about making a chiller by spiraling some plastic tubing (the kind used for plumbing) in a bucket that I would fill with ice water. Is there any particular reason why copper is used (better for heat distribution/cooling?)?

Copper is a much better conductor than plastic. It allows the exchange of heat to occur much more efficiently.

Thanks. I was thinking of using the 'cold' water tubing instead of the 'hot' since I'm guessing the hot is probably insulated a little better. I haven't gone out and researched equipment yet. Just planning in my head. If I can find some copper tubing at a good price then I'll go with that instead. What diameter? 3/8" ?

No plastic tubing will work for a wort chiller. You might be able to get a better price on stainless steel.

If you have a Menard's near you, 20ft of 3/8" copper is only like $11-12. I'm sure it doesn't cool quite as good as 50ft, but bent in the ribcage design does the job pretty well for me and 5g batches.

With plastic yo uare just asking for it to melt into your wort. Spend the extra money, build a good system.

That said, some people do have instructions for garden hose systems . . . but those still use copper and are counter-flow chillers instead.

You are going to place the plastic tubing in a bucket of ice water?

How large is the bucket?

How much ice?

Are you going to recirculate through the "chiller"?

I agree, copper is pretty cheap. I can get 50' of copper for like $45? I can get 50' of SS tubing for $75?

You probably only need half that much.

I have a 50' 3/8" copper immersion chiller that takes my 212* wort to 80* in 6-7 min. Best time was just under 5 min, but inbound water was 34*.

I got my copper tubing from Home Depot and the roll was $52. Then you just need a compression fitting and garden hose adapter to go on one end, about 3 feet of 3/8" vinyl hose, clothes washer hose, and adapter for your faucet.

IMHO, buy it right the first time, or buy it twice.

Thanks for the advise everyone. I think you all pretty much have me convinced that like KiltedCorpse just said, do it right the first time. I'll just have to keep chilling my wort the way I have been until I get a good system set up.

Gritsak, I do have a Menards near me and I will be there first thing Wed. morning. I'm out of town for work right now.

The Pol, I was trying to come up with a way to cool the water as much as possible before it got to the wort. I was thinking about trying to run it through a bucket of ice water before it would run through the wort. Looking at it now, like I said, the best thing for me is to do it right the first time.

What would you guys suggest I use as something to coil the copper tubing around? Is there any special techniques I should use? Am I better off using a torch to soften the tubing for coiling it? Etc.....

i just built one from 50' of 3/8.
got the copper at lowes for like 35$

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the advise everyone. I think you all pretty much have me convinced that like KiltedCorpse just said, do it right the first time. I'll just have to keep chilling my wort the way I have been until I get a good system set up.

Gritsak, I do have a Menards near me and I will be there first thing Wed. morning. I'm out of town for work right now.

The Pol, I was trying to come up with a way to cool the water as much as possible before it got to the wort. I was thinking about trying to run it through a bucket of ice water before it would run through the wort. Looking at it now, like I said, the best thing for me is to do it right the first time.

What would you guys suggest I use as something to coil the copper tubing around? Is there any special techniques I should use? Am I better off using a torch to soften the tubing for coiling it? Etc.....

A corney keg works well as a form to wrap it around.

You MUST fill the tube with something (sand, water) or it WILL kink.

I bought a 25' coil of 1/2 inch type L copper from HD. Nice and rigid and soldering on fittings was a breeze. It was about $50 I think, but worth every dime.

A corney keg works well as a form to wrap it around.

You MUST fill the tube with something (sand, water) or it WILL kink.

if you are just coiling the copper around a corney keg you dont need to fill it with anything. When you start making actual bends is when you need to fill it with something or get a spring bender.

Yeah, you don't see me filling the coil with anything in the video right? I've done that same thing with 3/8", 1/2" and 5/8" and no kinks. However, you do need to use caution if you're trying to make tight radius bends. 3/8" bends easily so you can do it by hand with no tools. 1/2" and larger not so much. A spring bender will help.

Warm the coil first before bending it if you don't have a spring bender. I bent a 50' 1/2 od around a corny with nary a kink. It can be done, even by someone has mechanically challenged as myself.

Back