True Vision Inc.... STAY AWAY!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The Pol

Reaction score
These idiots came to our home last summer, selling some magazine subscriptions. Well all of the neighbors were buying, so I was like sure... and got a couple subscriptions that I had wanted. Mind you this was MAY 20, 2008.

In OCTOBER 2008 still no magazines, so we called to get a refund. Sure sure, it will be there in 30 days.

Today is January 28?, 2009!! I have called three times in the past three weeks and not been given an answer. They will always "call me back" and never do. I am on hold with these screwballs right now...

NEVER EVER DO BUSINESS with these people. I just gave them an interest free loan for the past 10 months.

I'll extend that to "never buy magazines from door to door salespeople". Those stories the kids tell you about saving up for college or whatever, they're completely bogus (they probably lied to you about your neighbors buying subscriptions, too). Read this...pretty awful.

Oh no, my neighbors were right there... we were all in the driveway drinking HB...

As a rule, if you have to approach me to get me to buy something, I don't need it or want it.

Doubly so if you're standing on my porch.

As a rule, if you have to approach me to get me to buy something, I don't need it or want it.

I never buy from these screw balls, this time I felt generous... all that OT rolling in... no longer.

I usually have the same idea...but I've gotta tell you, a couple years ago I got a cold call solicitation at work from these guys hocking a specification-writing database program. Sounded legit, thought I'd give them the benefit of the doubt and let them do a presentation.

Hands down, one of the very best programs, in any industry or application, that I've ever seen.

I usually have the same idea...but I've gotta tell you, a couple years ago I got a cold call solicitation at work from these guys hocking a specification-writing database program. Sounded legit, thought I'd give them the benefit of the doubt and let them do a presentation.

Hands down, one of the very best programs, in any industry or application, that I've ever seen.

Ahh, but B2B is another thing entirely! ;)

I spend a good part of my day prospecting new business.

Ahh, but B2B is another thing entirely! ;)

I spend a good part of my day prospecting new business.

Agreed. I've got a project in the works for network equipment up over $200,000 that started from a cold call solicitation from a new vendor.

Personal business, at home, no way.

Agreed. I've got a project in the works for network equipment up over $200,000 that started from a cold call solicitation from a new vendor.

Personal business, at home, no way.

Certainly. Pipelines aren't just about homebrew, ya dig? :D

Jason

The kids here hit me up in the grocery store parking lot selling candy and
subscriptions. I can't stand it when someone runs up to me and starts
babbling at 300 mph just trying to get me to fork over $10 or sign.

You want to sell me something in a parking lot?

Get ready for a hell of a pitch or some social dejection.

I had a college age kid come to my door once selling sports magazines. His opening pitch was "Hi, my name is xxxxxx......do you like sports?", then he holds his hand up for a high five.

I just stared at him for a good ten seconds thinking "Really? You're really going to try to high five me?". He finally figured out I was "going to leave him hanging", and I got rid of him less than a minute later.

30 minutes later I left the house to run to the grocery store and it was POURING rain out. The guy was huddled underneath a small tree waiting for his ride and was completely soaked. I waved enthusiastically and laughed all the way to the store.

Hahahahah...

I don't know about kids these days.
When I was 15 I got a work permit
and got a JOB.

Yeah, that magazine scam happened to me years ago (early 90s). I was in the Marines stationed in So.Cal. Some hot chick got on base (somehow... probably blew one of the MPs at the gate) and went barracks to barracks, suckering Marines into buying magazine subscriptions with a "trying to pay for college" sob story.

She was smooth... came in the room, sat on my bed, gave me bedroom eyes. I bought one subscription for like $10, never saw it or her again. Yep, I was a sucker. Lesson learned.

If someone knocks on my door they promptly get the door slammed in their face.

I came home from the grocery store one night and there was a Kirby vacuum cleaner guy in the house. My wife figured, hey he'll clean a room for free. :rolleyes:

I tried to be patient, but I ended up telling the guy to pack up his stuff and get out of my house. My exact words were a bit more 'colorful' than that. :D

These idiots came to our home last summer, selling some magazine subscriptions. Well all of the neighbors were buying, so I was like sure... and got a couple subscriptions that I had wanted. Mind you this was MAY 20, 2008.

In OCTOBER 2008 still no magazines, so we called to get a refund. Sure sure, it will be there in 30 days.

Today is January 28?, 2009!! I have called three times in the past three weeks and not been given an answer. They will always "call me back" and never do. I am on hold with these screwballs right now...

NEVER EVER DO BUSINESS with these people. I just gave them an interest free loan for the past 10 months.

Put a "NO SOLICITING" sign on your front door. Never buy anything from or donate to anyone who goes door to door. If you can, show up at their office & demand your money back; don't leave till you get it. Make a scene if you have to.

Like I said, I slam on anyone, or just dont open the door. This one time I just did it, thinking maybe I was being paranoid. Well, I wasnt...

No Soliciting sign does not work, already have it... Kirby people are illiterate as they are here every 2 months banging on my door. I told them last time that thier vaccuum cost 2x what my car is worth, and I cant even drive it to work!

Call them up asking for something in the mail to sign up for
Their programs.

When they send you the mail with a return postage paid
envelope, begin the war. Postage paid return envelopes work
as postage when displayed on the outside of any package.

Kindly fill a box up with all your (legally shippable) garbage
up to the limit of weight and tape the postage paid return
envelope to the outside of the box.

They will be responsible for shipping, and will now have a
nice present from you to take care of.

I get some industry related magazines for free. At the doctor's office, I was thumbing through what they they had. There was a commonality in all of them. They were mostly advertisements.

Some were blatantly advertisements. Full one or two page ads. Some were disguised as articles. I expect the free industry mags to be full of ads. Some of them are nothing but ads. They're more like catalogs. Paid for subscriptions though, that are supposed to be about something should be about something. The doctor's office had mags on boats, golf and gardening. There were maybe 5 articles, total, in them all. The rest was ads. A few ads for me to know how to buy what I want to do what I like to read about, that's OK. But if the mag is an ad rag, just give it people as advertising. I ain't buying it, that's for sure.

Back