It had to Happen

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

budbo

Beer is good
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
So I drank a gallon of it, no one else would touch it.. It was Beer Damnit!

For the first time in my brewing history, I decided tonight, to dump a batch.. I can't blame bacteria, I can't blame anything but a bad recipie.. It was beer, it was fresh, it got you drunk, but it tasted nasty, no one to blame but me, a failed experiment, a beer that tasted really bad.. I finally decided to face the shame and pour it in the gutter.. all that alcohol! /sigh but the world is a better place now that my Pre-prohibition cream ale is at the sewage treatment plant.. It was a successful brew but a failed recipie. :(

I distilled my first dumpable batch. The bottle of moonshine is still sitting in my hall cupboard. I have all the beer I could possibly drink, so why would I bother with moonshine?

I think if you freeze it, everything but the alcohol will freeze up and you can pour off the booze?

It's best to do this in stages as freezing it solid will lock up the alcohol in little bubbles. Put a growler of the offending brew in the freezer and check on it every half hour or so till it gets to the slushy point. Pour it through a cheesecloth or strainer or something similar and discard the ice. Do this with the next growler, etc. etc. till you have a growler of product. Then put this new growler in the freezer and do the same. Continue like this until you get to the point that it won't freeze anymore. You can get another step or two out of it if you have a deep freeze like at a restaurant, or if you live in the northern states and wait till winter when it gets REALLY cold overnight. BTW this is somewhat dangerous as the nasty higher level alcohols that give you a nasty hangover get concentrated right along with the good stuff that makes you happy. However, it's no worse than drinking all of the beer you started with.

It's best to do this in stages as freezing it solid will lock up the alcohol in little bubbles. Put a growler of the offending brew in the freezer and check on it every half hour or so till it gets to the slushy point. Pour it through a cheesecloth or strainer or something similar and discard the ice. Do this with the next growler, etc. etc. till you have a growler of product. Then put this new growler in the freezer and do the same. Continue like this until you get to the point that it won't freeze anymore. You can get another step or two out of it if you have a deep freeze like at a restaurant, or if you live in the northern states and wait till winter when it gets REALLY cold overnight. BTW this is somewhat dangerous as the nasty higher level alcohols that give you a nasty hangover get concentrated right along with the good stuff that makes you happy. However, it's no worse than drinking all of the beer you started with.

Interesting. I did not know this. I will have to commit that to memory.

I didn't do it in stages, but I froze 5 litres at a time to nearly rock solid. It was still under pressure as soon as I took the cap off, it started fizzing out. I then took the 5 litre jug and balanced it upside down over a 1 litre beer mug and let it continue to thaw until the ice was clear, rather than brow like it had been before (I assumed since the brown bits had leeched out, most of the alcohol had as well.

I plan to freeze it again and see how much ice get out of it this time. It smells and tastes NASTY, and regardless of whether or not it ends up going through a still, it will need to be carbon filtered.

I guess we better stop talking about distilling here, as it's pretty much off limits. I only chimed in because we were discussing what to do with bad batches of BEER. ;)

Back