FML. How can I be sure I ruined this beer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

31FIFTY

Reaction score
How do you know if you have ruined your beer? I went to rerack after two weeks in primary and it had a thick layer of crap floating on the top. At first I optimistically though "well maybe because it's an oatmeal stout."

Then as I got to the bottom it didn't look anything like my first batch (yes, this i only my 2nd time). The first time there was a almost silky layer of residue at the bottom. This stuff was a lot more clumpy. I had lost a lot more hops during the boil this time so I thought maybe it was just that. I tasted and smelled the beer and it def doesn't seem right.

It seems that I am answering my own question here. I leave for Hawaii in 8 hours so it will be sitting in secondary for a couple of weeks while i'm gone anyways. Any chance of an Oatmeal Stout developing a thick layer of crap on the top during primary fermentation? FML!

Don't worry about it while you're in Hawaii. Let it sit for a bit in the secondary, it'll be fine.

Don't let the smell of unfinished wort/beer get you down, it will change. I've been bottling a few of every brew in 8 oz coke bottles just to taste the differences while it's conditioning. I've had brews start off very acidic or just not together that have finished quite nicely. GNR said it best, "All we need is just a little patience...."

GRDWHFIH Relax, don't worry, have fun in Hawaii!!

Don't worry about it while you're in Hawaii. Let it sit for a bit in the secondary, it'll be fine.

Don't let the smell of unfinished wort/beer get you down, it will change. I've been bottling a few of every brew in 8 oz coke bottles just to taste the differences while it's conditioning. I've had brews start off very acidic or just not together that have finished quite nicely. GNR said it best, "All we need is just a little patience...."

GRDWHFIH Relax, don't worry, have fun in Hawaii!!

I really appreciate your response. Why the crud floating on the top though? When I popped the top on my first batch (brown ale) it was mostly smooth on the surface right out of primary?

I really appreciate your response. Why the crud floating on the top though? When I popped the top on my first batch (brown ale) it was mostly smooth on the surface right out of primary?

Relax, have a homebrew. Let it be and when you get back it will probably taste fine.

The stuff floating on top sounds like the remains of krausen - perfectly normal. The trub at the bottom will look different for each beer and yeast. More or less protein material and/or hops will result in more or less trub. Different yeast flocculate differently and will have different consistencies. To me English ale yeasts look a bit like cottage cheese.

In short, nothing in your description leads me to think anything is wrong. Have fun on vacation!

The stuff floating on top sounds like the remains of krausen - perfectly normal. The trub at the bottom will look different for each beer and yeast. More or less protein material and/or hops will result in more or less trub. Different yeast flocculate differently and will have different consistencies. To me English ale yeasts look a bit like cottage cheese.

In short, nothing in your description leads me to think anything is wrong. Have fun on vacation!

^^That^^

I've only got 10 batches under my belt and each one had different ferms and different leftovers.

Go have a mai tai..

Back