How much alcohol does Primming usually add?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Forrest

Reaction score
Westminster, Uk. But only till the end of Decembe
My first AG Beer is in the fermentor right now and I probably have two or three more days they it is going before it will be time to bottle. This is the first beer I have ever made where I have been checking the gravity and calculating the alcohol. When I bottle the Beer, I am going to add 3/4 cup of Corn Sugar to Prime it. I was just wondering how much alchol I can expect this to add to the beer.

Thanks in advance.

OK, we can do this math...

Corn sugar adds about 46 gravity points per pond per gallon.

3/4 cup is about 5 oz which is .3125 lbs.

So 46 * .3125 / 5gal = 2.875 gravity points

assuming that ferments out completely, you're adding about 2.8 *.12 = .33

So you're adding a 1/3 of 1% ABV.

omniscientomar said:
That still sounds like a lot to me...

It's all relative, I guess. If I were brewing a 5 gal batch and missed my target gravity by 2.85 points, I wouldn't consider that a very significant "error."

Lemme try my math on you:
5 oz in 640 oz (5 gallons) is about .8%. Half is fermented to CO2, the rest alcohol. So, about .4%. Is your grain bill that accurately weighed? Can I even read my hydrometer to that acuity? Certainly well within the range of variation of my typical brewhouse efficiency. In fact, it's right in the middle of "I don't care". But YMMV.

Back