Baltic Porter VS Schwartzbier

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bru

Reaction score
Can someone please explain the differences between these two styles.
My understanding is a Schwartzbier has a Munich and Pilsener malt base with a lager yeast. Baltics seem to be the same although some use pale 2 row as a base - strong porter with lager yeast.

A baltic porter will have a fuller body and mouthfeel than a schwartbier, not to mention a higher gravity beer in general. I also think that, while both lagers, a schwartzbier will finish crisper.

porters are typically fermented with ale yeast. They aren't lagered.

Baltic porters are traditionally brewed with lager yeast.

Baltics ARE typically fermented with lager yeasts.
From BJCP Style guidelines 12C. Baltic Porter: Ingredients: Generally lager yeast (cold fermented if using ale yeast).
Swartzbier is medium bodied and Baltics are full-bodied. Baltics have higher OG and alcohol content. Among other differences.

Baltics ARE typically fermented with lager yeasts.
From BJCP Style guidelines 12C. Baltic Porter: Ingredients: Generally lager yeast (cold fermented if using ale yeast).
Swartzbier is medium bodied and Baltics are full-bodied. Baltics have higher OG and alcohol content. Among other differences.

Interesting...didn't know that.

Honestly, i think these two styles are miles apart. Baltic porters a big beers with a nice roastiness and dark fruit component. Schwartzbiers are typically much lighter and even though they are dark, the roastiness if much more restrained due to many brewers using de-husked roasted barley and/or Carafa malt.

Latest posts

Back