FermcapS rock!!! Pic

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Am I the only one who still has boil overs with this stuff? I am using 2 drops per gallon, and with less than 6 gals in 7.5 gal pot I still have boil overs. Granted my pot is somewhat tall and skinny but still. Should I try more drops? how much is ok to use?

I used it the first time last week. worked great with 2 Per gallon in a turkey fryer. Flame on max once I got the rolling boil low enough from the top to not spill over.

It was the rolling boil not the foaming up that I had to watch. put alittle to much in the pot.

Am I the only one who still has boil overs with this stuff? I am using 2 drops per gallon, and with less than 6 gals in 7.5 gal pot I still have boil overs. Granted my pot is somewhat tall and skinny but still. Should I try more drops? how much is ok to use?

When are you adding it? If you add it when it is already foaming, the Fermcap doesn't disperse into the liquid like it should. I have found adding when coming up to a boil and right after I pitch my yeast (for no-blow off purposes) works wonders.

I tried to add it once when I used some top-cropped yeast when it was already starting to foam up and it was a nightmare.

Yes, it could be that you are adding it too late to be effective. Are you shaking it up good to mix everything in the bottle before you use it?

Otherwise, the only thing I can think of is that your fermcap is stale and has lost some of its effectiveness.

Yes, it could be that you are adding it too late to be effective. Are you shaking it up good to mix everything in the bottle before you use it?

Otherwise, the only thing I can think of is that your fermcap is stale and has lost some of its effectiveness.

When are you supposed to put it in? I didn't realize it made a difference and I was putting it in right when the boil starts - oops?

I shake it up as good as I can, but I keep it refridgerated like the bottle says so its like trying to shake up a full bottle of elmer's glue.

Could be stale I suppose but I've only had it a couple months. Bought it online from northern brewer.

When are you supposed to put it in? I didn't realize it made a difference and I was putting it in right when the boil starts - oops?

I shake it up as good as I can, but I keep it refridgerated like the bottle says so its like trying to shake up a full bottle of elmer's glue.

Could be stale I suppose but I've only had it a couple months. Bought it online from northern brewer.
I put it in at the beginning of the boil. I also let it warm on the counter while I am mashing so that it is easier to shake up and use when I need it.

I suspect that even if yours is stale, just use more of it than recommended and it will probably work just fine.

I put it in at the beginning of the boil. I also let it warm on the counter while I am mashing so that it is easier to shake up and use when I need it.

I suspect that even if yours is stale, just use more of it than recommended and it will probably work just fine.

Thanks for the tips! :mug:

Has anyone been able to stop a blowoff? Maybe with a long syringe or something, so the fermcap can get down into the wort.

I added the fermcap when I pitched. But the fermentation lagged for about 24 hours, and I've got krausen up the wahoozoo.

..., and I've got krausen up the wahoozoo.

Your doing it wrong :D

Putting the funny aside though, it is my understanding that fermcap needs the churning action of a boil or active fermentation to stay in suspension. You need to add the fermcap to a fermentor once activity gets going, otherwise it will settle out just like it does at the end of fermentation.

Back