Cairngorm Trade winds bitter & elderflower

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stevedasleeve

Reaction score
I just got back walking the west highland way in Scotland last week - fantastic walking from B&B to Inn and several pints after a day in the hills ... it was magical!

Anyway I had three great cask ales, one of which is Trade Winds, a bitter from Cairngorm brewery. It has elderflowers in it so I thought I'd try my hand at a session bitter along the same lines.

If anyone has used elerflowers I wonder if you would recommend putting them in the boil or dry hopping or both? I am thinking of trying 1 oz at flame out to begin with...

Steve da sleeve

Just to dredge up an old post, did you ever get anywhere with this recipe? I've been trying to develop a clone and I think I've got a few of the ingredients and amounts worked out. I'd be interested to know what your experience was if you tried to make it.

Been brewing many elderflower pale ales since!

Latest is 1.056, 55 IBUS with Nugget, Centenial, and Simcoe 4 Oz total in the boil, 2 Oz elderflowers at flame out.

Grain was 81% Maris Otter, 12% light Munich, 7% German carapils.

Elderflowers add considerable complexity to the hops and as the hops drop off over time seems to remain longer in the final beer.

My next one is likely to be a session strength 50% wheat & MO with bittering only + elderflowers at flame out and dry hopped with Citra...30 IBUs or so...

Steve da sleeve

Back