Riwaka and Pacific Gem arrived

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MattHollingsworth

Reaction score
I was getting worried about customs trouble as sometimes here I have some hassles with packages getting through. But finally my Riwaka and Pacific Gem hops arrived from the UK today. I'll be brewing a NZPA this weekend. I've already read other threads about these hops but am looking to see if anyone has any last minute advice for me. Sounds like Pacific Gem is a strong, pungent one that can be used nicely in conjunction with other hops at somewhat lower amounts. Maybe a sort of supercharger like Nelson Sauvin even though it tastes different. I'll be using Riwaka as the primary, Pac. Gem as secondary hop, probably at 25% of the hop charge.

Anyway, any last minute advice or input is appreciated. I'll report back on them sometime before winter hits.

I have no advice, but please keep us updated with your results. These hops really intrigue me and I'd like to hear about your experience with them. Have you also used Nelson Sauvin? If so, what did you think?

I recently fell in love with Riwaka hops. They have a similar profile to some of the NW American hops. Almost a fuller bodied Cascade.

I made a few batches of an ESB style with nothing but Riwaka. It went over very well with friends and family. This is now one of the standards I brew.

The recipe is for 10 gallons:

12.00 lb Colorado 2-Row (2.9 SRM) Grain 65.75 %
3.00 lb
Munich I (Weyermann) (7.1 SRM) Grain 16.44 %
1.00 lb CaraMalt (34.0 SRM) Grain 5.48 %
1.00 lb
Carafoam (Weyermann) (2.0 SRM) Grain 5.48 %
1.00 lb
Carahell (Weyermann) (13.0 SRM) Grain 5.48 %
0.25 lb
Caramunich II (Weyermann) (63.0 SRM) Grain 1.37 %
4.00 oz Riwaka [5.80 %] (Dry Hop 7 days) Hops -
2.00 oz
Riwaka [5.80 %] (60 min) Hops 19.4 IBU
2.00 oz
Riwaka [5.80 %] (20 min) Hops 11.8 IBU
2.50 oz Riwaka [5.80 %] (10 min) Hops 8.8 IBU
3.00 oz
Riwaka [5.80 %] (0 min) Hops -
0.58 tsp Irish Moss (Boil 15.0 min) Misc
32.00 items Defoamer (Boil 90.0 min) Misc
2 Pkgs Windsor Yeast (Lallemand #-) Yeast-Ale e

Measured Original Gravity: 1.045 SG
Est Final Gravity: 1.011 SG
Measured Final Gravity
:
1.016 SG
Estimated Alcohol by Vol: 4.45 %
Actual Alcohol by Vol:
3.78 %
Bitterness:
40.0 IBU

Calories
: 201 cal/pint

Est Color:
7.5 SRM
Mash Profile
Mash Name: Single Infusion, Medium Body, No Mash Out
Total Grain Weight
:
18.25 lb

Sparge Water
:
12.33 gal

Grain Temperature
:
50.0 F

Sparge Temperature
:
168.0 F
TunTemperature
:
72.0 F
Adjust Temp for Equipment: FALSE
Mash PH
:
5.4 PH

l

In terms of bitterness, I've found PA Gem to be like a super Fuggles. It has a woodsy/earthy character to it. I have pretty high carbonate levels in my water, and even though I treat it now, I have to be careful and not add too much for bittering as it can be a bit harsh (Chinook does this for me as well).

I have gotten a nice berry aroma out of the hop before as a latter addition. I've had limited success in getting this again. I haven't bee able to pin down if this is from a flavor or aroma addition. I've got a porter about ready to keg now that used PA Gem to bitter and for flavor and aroma as well, along with some Brewers Gold for the latter additions. I'm trying to get a berry porter without adding any fruit.

I alternate between PA Gem and Chinook in my porters and stouts, and have also used it in some wheat beers

Thanks for the notes everyone. I'll definitely report back.

I have no advice, but please keep us updated with your results. These hops really intrigue me and I'd like to hear about your experience with them. Have you also used Nelson Sauvin? If so, what did you think?

Yeah, I've used Nelson Sauvin in a few beers. I made a beer with just those hops and it was awesome. Strong elder character from what people tell me, but I don't know that character so couldn't say myself. I will say it's unique though. It's very much like an American hop though. I've since used it in smaller amounts in blends with American hops. My Imperial Amber, in my recipes, uses a small amount and you can definitely pick it out once you know the taste of it. I HIGHLY recommend it to anyone.

Pacific Gem sounds really interesting to me but it also sounds like it can be overdone, so I'm gonna use maybe 32% of that and 68% of Riwaka and see what I get. We'll see as I nail it down. Brewing this on Sunday in just a normal pale ale.

OK Wayne, where did you find Riwaka in the US. I emailed NZ hops to get distributor info, but the stuff they gave nobody ever got back to me. Ive been looking high and low for them.

They have been out of stock for a long while, so I assumed they didnt carry them anymore. Glad to see they do now. Thanks Matt!

I use pacific gem (organic from new zealand) as a high alpha acid bittering hop. I think it imparts a flavor of pines. Yes, it can be overdone, in my experience.

I made a pacific gem IPA, which was only late additions. The berry flavor was interesting. I'll brew that one again.

I used Pacific Gem for bittering and flavor in a rye porter this weekend. Bubbling away but I will post results.

I've got some left that I plan to use for bittering with Nelson Sauvin for later additions in an imperial pilsner (or maybe you'd call it an india pale lager?). I've tasted Sauvin hops in Mikeller Single Hop IPA and was blown away by the tropical fruit and pungent aroma.

By the way, Pac Gem, Nelson Sauvin and other NZ hops are available in pellets on Austin Homebrew.

OK Wayne, where did you find Riwaka in the US. I emailed NZ hops to get distributor info, but the stuff they gave nobody ever got back to me. Ive been looking high and low for them.

As was noted above, Austin Homebrew has recently received stock of the Riwaka. I believe there was a delay with the harvest of Riwaka and getting them into the country. I really like this hop and did not want to be left without again. I ordered 5 pounds last week.

Back