newbie brewing an esb tweak my recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dzlater

Reaction score
I am brewing an ESB today, any suggestions?
I made a yeast starter 150 ml using wyeast 1986 I made the starter on wednesday. I think this might have been too early but I followed the directions on Palmers website http://www.howtobrew.com/section1/chapter6-5.html
I wasn't sure if I should pitch the whole starter or just pitch the settled yeast on the bottom. I listened to a podcast where they interviewed the Whites from White Labs and he said if it's less then 200ml in a 5 gall. batch pitch the whole thing, so that's my plan. I will be doing my first 5 gallon boil on my new turkey frier setup. I don't have a scale so adjusting weights would be by eyeball.
here's the recipe
6 lbs coopers plain light DME
1 lb crystal malt (120, I think, bags not labeled and I don't remember what I bought)
2 oz EKG 5.5%AA (whole hops) @ 60 min
2 oz EKG 5.5% AA (whole hops) @ 10 min from end of boil

If it's 1 lb crystal 120, then the beer may be a little bit dark for an ESB, but if you are not sure, I wouldn't change it.
You may want to change the second hop addition to 1 oz at 20 - 30 minutes from the end, and 1 oz at flameout., but this won't make much difference.

Excellent yeast, and choice of hops.

Good luck

-a.

Just got done cleaning up. Thanks for the suggestions.
I actually found the label for the crystal and it was 150L, so I guess I'm going to have a dark hoppy ESB. I ran it through the BeerAlchamy program and it is within the style guidelines for IBU's although on the high end .
This was my first time brewing outdoors it is a hell of a lot easier then brewing in the kitchen.

Latest posts

Back