Mold??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

grasshopper1917

Reaction score
I made a batch of Coopers Wheat ale - used the canned kit and some liquid malt extract and sugar. OG was 1040 but for some reason it never fermented all that well - only got down to about 1014 - left it in secondary for about a month cause it was a busy month and didnt have time to bottle it (Usually only leave it in for a couple weeks). I was dissapointed about the FG but on top of the beer in secondary there were white patches - is there a way it could have grown mold. I smelled the beer it smelled fine - I drank some - it tasted fine.

Is it possible I can get sick if it was mold??

Its going to be really weak beer but it tastes good so I dont wanna waste it - just dont wanna get sick. Would mold have made the taste go bad? Any advice would be well appreciated

1.014 is just fine.... what makes it weak is your starting grav...

A pic would help to identify whether it is mold or not.

Sometimes during secondary there's white floaties that aren't mold. If it tastes and smells fine, you'll be fine to bottle.

You won't get sick...

I have had that happen before, and I had the same concern. I just tasted the beer and it tasted fine so I bottled or keged can't remember which. Long story short the beer tasted good until it was gone and I never got sick off of it. I'm pretty sure that is just something caused by the fermentation activity.

I've had white sort of film or splotches form on two batches. Being a cheap a$$ I kegged'em anyways. Still here to talk about it, although I am missing a few brain cells.... although that's from the beer being perfectly fine :drunk:

You definately won't get sick. We've all worried about something in our fermenting or clearing brews. It could be a whole bunch of things from some wierd krausen residue to your yeast clumping up depending on the strain. Keg or bottle as normal and enjoy those beers of your labor. From what I've read, anything that can actually make you real sick can't survive in the carbonated beer environment (alcohol, dark, carbon dioxide, stored on the cool side).

Jamo99's on the right track. Anything that can make you sick, from what I've heard/read, can't survive in an alcoholic/lower pH environment. Unless your sanitation wasn't spot on, don't worry about it, as everyone else has eluded to. Your plenty good to package and enjoy.

Latest posts

Back