Pickle smelling washed yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EllisTX

Reaction score
Well.... I washed kolsch yeast and stored in a pickle jar because all of my mason jars were in use. Poor planning on my part. I washed the hell out of the jar and it had no pickle smell when I washed it. Of course I didn't give thought to the lid. Gave it a good cleaning but didn't smell it.

I just got a starter going with it and the yeast has a pickle smell to it. My starter wort was all boiled and ready to go so I went ahead with it.

What are the odds that the pickle smell will scrub out during the fermentation process? Is the starter small enough to not have an effect in 5 gallons of beer? This starter will actually be built up for a 10 gallon batch.

I don't want the nose to smell like this!!

20110721-161929-vegetarian-option-burger-joint-beer-and-pickle.jpg

Looks like this isn't a common problem. Most are probably smart enough to throw it out.

My starter is going strong today and there really isn't any real detectable pickle odor coming off of it. Maybe just a hint of dill but it pretty much smells like kolsch yeast. I'm going to go ahead with it. I'll certainly post in a few months when the final product is ready if I made a misake.

Cheers!

Back