Smithwick's Irish Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

razyrsharpe

Reaction score
has anyone ever had this beer before? the store where my wife works just began to stock it. should i give it a try? what is the general consensus?

It's okay, worth trying. If it is what I'm thinking of, it is everywhere in Ireland, though they pronounce it "smiddicks" or something like that if I recall (I may have been drunk at the time).

They have it on tap in the Pittsburgh Airport and most pubs in Ireland. A good alternative after filling up on Guinness.

It's sorta becoming the latest PBR around here so I had a sample the other week at a local bar..sweet, taste reminded me of iced tea mix.

It tastes like eating a steak. I don't like it that much. There is usually something better IMHO.

Edwort has nailed the pronunciation on the head.

its one of my main stays when out drinking over here (ireland) its either that or bass.
Its one of those beers thats rubbish in a can, ok on draught and great in a bottle (the bottle version is lower abv 3.6 %, i think but it has great flavour).

I'm not crazy about it, I find it a little watery.

That being said you should definately try it out, could turn out to be a favorite for you.

BTW, I've only had it on draught.

:mug:

we have a local pub with Smithwick's on tap. Ive finished off so many pitcher's of this in the past year. Ive seen a recipe somewhere before, ill try and find it

:rockin:

I had my first Smithwick's over the weekend (went back east for a few days). The waitress was new and knew nothing about beer. When I asked, "What's on tap?," she said, "umm, Bud Light, Mich Ultra, Lager, Labatt's, Heineken, shall I go on?" Laughing to myself about her reference to Yuengling Lager as just "Lager" (in the local PA sort of way), I asked her to continue the list. "Ok, Guinness, Red Hook, Smithwick's, I think that's all."

I told her I'd try a Smithwick's. When she brought it, my Dad asked what it was. Her reply: "Well, it's kinda dark, I guess it's like Guinness except not black." I thanked her and explained to my Dad that it's an Irish Ale, tasted it, and offered that it's not bad, either. I enjoyed it. It's not going to become a favorite, but, given the choices at that particular bar, I made the right decision.

hmmm, I have seen that at the beer store. I figured it was a BMC "import" product (Like Killians Red) as it is generally in the same cooler. So I never tried it.

Guess I will have to give it a try then.

delboy said:
Edwort has nailed the pronunciation on the head.

Two co-workers who have been to Ireland this year were having this very discussion yesterday as they were told two different pronounciations by different Irish bartenders.

This confirmed it...

"In Ireland, it is generally pronounced as 'Smithicks', 'Smitticks', 'Smidicks' or 'Smeth-icks'. The variation of pronunciations is mostly due to differing accent and dialects of the Irish. When ordering in the US, 'Smithicks' is the preferred method, while 'Smiddicks' is the most prevalent pronunciation in Canada."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Smithwicks

I have tried Smithwick's several times. I didn't like it much the first time. Each time after that, I take my first sip, and say to myself "you dumb ass, you know you don't like this beer".
I guess I keep giving it a chance, but it doesn't suit my taste. Boddington's, however, I love. I guess they aren't as similar as expected, although both in the Irish Cream Ale kind of category. I think it is catching on due to marketing more than awesomeness, probably a good margin on it for the distributors & importer...

LouT said:
I have tried Smithwick's several times. I didn't like it much the first time... Boddington's, however, I love. ...
I'm just the opposite. I find Bod's too watery and never had it again after the first couple I tried several years ago. I prefer Smithwicks over it. I've only ever had both on tap.

An Irish pub where I live has Smithwicks on tap and it was the first place I tried it. It is brewed by Guinness. It's alright; kind of reminds me of Bass. After I've had 2-3, I'm usually ready to switch to something else.

Back