Anyone ever mix yeasts?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zickefoose

Reaction score
I've got a bock that I am fermenting as an ale with Trappist Ale yeast. I've done this before and it came out with a great fruity flavor, pruney. Although this time I spiced it up for christmas and I was thinking about pitching some belgian strong ale yeast into it. I've read it has a great phenolic flavor to it.

My question is, do you think the flavors would be competing and ruin the flavor of my beer? Or should I go for it.

Also, is there any issue with pitching different types of yeast?

The only issue that I've heard of is one yeast outcompeting the other. You could do 2 fermentations, but mainly you just get lowered profiles from both. Mixing doesn't ruin the beer, just gives you a different taste. Most of all, report back what you find!

Thanks :) lowered profiles would probably work well with this beer anyway. I'll pitch it today, my fermentation has slowed considerably.

If you are pitching a second yeast after the bulk of the fermentation is over you will get no extra. flavor. The bulk of the flavor will be set by the first yeast.

If you want to combine yeasts you really need to pitch them at the same time or very close.

I recently did a Tripel that I combined 1214 and 3787. It turned out great and I could taste both yeasts. If I was to do it again I would give the 1214 a few hour headstart because it takes off slower than 3787.

I've done 2 fermentations before by adding the rest of the wort and yeast after the initial fermentation was over. Probably not any different than mixing the beers at the end, but it still turned out tasty.

Only time i have is with a double IPA I made, pitched a smack pack of 1056 and went to open my second pack, it ended up on the garage floor so I pitched a packet of us-05, it's been one of my favorites amongst friends and family, guess it turned out just fine!

Closest I've come is using WLP568, which is a blend of DuPont and some Belgian strain. The blending is done at White Labs, though.

Back