double bastard clone

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lpdb185

Reaction score
has anyone brewed the AHS clone of Double Bastard?? i've never even tried the brew before, but everything i've read says i'll love it. it would be the extract recipe.

Start by boiling a pine cone.

I don't like. You will want to invest in some Chinook hops. I had one once and I am 99% certain that was what I was tasting. Of course, there is a 1% chance the pine cone is in there.

is it something like a DFH 90 minute? i read one review that made it sound more like the taste/smell of a DFH 120 minute. like i said, i've never even seen one much less tried it.

I like it. I have an attempt at a clone 2 weeks in the bottle. The hops I had were not terribly fresh though. Search around for the thread, you will find a discussion and recipe. No knowledge of the AHS recipe though.

Oh, its closer to 90 than 120.

it's defintely closer to the 90 minute than the 120 if you're comparing. The 2009 double bastard was just released so you may be able to find it at a better bottle shop. I know bevmo has it out here. It's definitely chinook hops and I beleive some crystal 120L. Stones recipes are very simple so there may not be much else to it. I would get the clone, its worth trying. Austin home brews closes are pretty spot on. As for me.....being San Diego Beer Week, tomorrow Stone is hosting a vertical tasting of all the double bastard from the last 8 or 10 years. Should be fantastic.

I've heard that it's just a bigger version of ABA. This is the ABA recipe I used and it was awesome, though I didn't do a direct comparison with the real McCoy. DBA taste a little different to me though. It doesn't just taste like a bigger version IMO. I'd love to know the recipe though as it's an amazing beer that I'd love to make.

http://www.brew365.com/beer_stone_arrogant_bastard.php

it's defintely closer to the 90 minute than the 120 if you're comparing. The 2009 double bastard was just released so you may be able to find it at a better bottle shop. I know bevmo has it out here. It's definitely chinook hops and I beleive some crystal 120L. Stones recipes are very simple so there may not be much else to it. I would get the clone, its worth trying. Austin home brews closes are pretty spot on. As for me.....being San Diego Beer Week, tomorrow Stone is hosting a vertical tasting of all the double bastard from the last 8 or 10 years. Should be fantastic.

i'm in mississippi! can't get anything more than 5.9% ABV! :(
i was just trying to get an idea of what other beer it is similar too that i may have tried before. i think i may just get the kit and make it anyway.

i'm in mississippi! can't get anything more than 5.9% ABV! :(
i was just trying to get an idea of what other beer it is similar too that i may have tried before. i think i may just get the kit and make it anyway.

You could probably get someone to trade it to you for some rare Mississippi brew.

Back