My first all grain is history!!! I love the smell of dough in the morning!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BillTheSlink

Reaction score
Well, I just woke up after collapsing around 9:00 in the bed after my first all grain brew. It was such a hectic day. There was all the new equipment to wash and assemble and boiling 10 gals. of water and vinegar in my new brew kettle. Of course there was some newbie mistakes. I over shot the 150 mash temp the kit called for by ten degrees, broke my thermometer because I didn't have stuff laid out, and tragedy of tragedies dipped my new oak dowel dip stick in the cooled wort to measure in the carboy without out sanitizing to see how much I needed to top off (exactly one gal. That was weird). We will see if that comes back to bite me. It was one of those "I was so tired I just forgot" mistakes. All that lugging, tugging, and trying to pour 10 gal. of water made me want to stop and weld valves on everything. I just now pitched the yeast when I woke up. I was letting things cool in the carboy in the swamp cooler with ice blocks. We will see in a few hours if it takes off.

I was too tired to wash dishes. There setting outside in dish soap in my brew kettle and will until morning. When Listermann sold me his Phil's Lauter Tun he told me the grain just wants to make wort, and he was right. I know it's good wort because it's sticky goodness is still on my floor after being mopped ;-)

I was so wanted to figure my brew house efficiency, but no thermometer means no hydrometer.

It was a hell of a lot of work. Would I do it again? Hell Ya Brother! Nothing beats the smell of dough in.

Congratulations on your first AG. I completed my second AG on Tuesday. Looking to make things easier each time by improving on material and knowledge.

Hope your final beer is a wonderful creation.

Salute! :mug:

awesome man congrats!!! :D

gonna buy all my all-grain equipment + first all grain brew tomorrow, my LHBS has 10% off everything, along with a free smoked-meat lunch and free homebrews all around in the parking lot. *stoked*

...and of course i won't forget to tip well:]

There was all the new equipment to wash and assemble and boiling 10 gals. of water and vinegar in my new brew kettle.

Vinegar? Keep that stuff far away from where you're brewing. Most vinegar still has active culture.

Congrats on your AG! :mug:

Congrats on your first AG as well. We all remember our first. ;)

As a suggestion I would not use your oak dip stick for anything post boil. Wood is fine for pre and during boil things because any bugs will be killed by heat. Wood is very porous and not easily sanitized, I know star-san is only rated for non-porous surfaces and not effective against wood. I would hate for you to have an infected batch because of a dipstick. Just grab a plastic or stainless rod and you'll be golden.

awesome man congrats!!! :D

gonna buy all my all-grain equipment + first all grain brew tomorrow, my LHBS has 10% off everything, along with a free smoked-meat lunch and free homebrews all around in the parking lot. *stoked*

...and of course i won't forget to tip well:]

Sounds like an awesome LHBS.

Congrats on your first AG as well. We all remember our first. ;)

As a suggestion I would not use your oak dip stick for anything post boil. Wood is fine for pre and during boil things because any bugs will be killed by heat. Wood is very porous and not easily sanitized, I know star-san is only rated for non-porous surfaces and not effective against wood. I would hate for you to have an infected batch because of a dipstick. Just grab a plastic or stainless rod and you'll be golden.

What if I was to seal it with poly or lacquer??

What if I was to seal it with poly or lacquer??

It may do the trick but I still wouldn't trust it. Putting the stick repeatedly into sweet wort would make a perfect home for unwanted bugs to grow. Once they get a foothold they are impossible to get out. Just ask anyone with an infected wooden barrel.

Just save yourself the headache later and go plastic or stainless.

Back