What I did for beer today

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just set up an account with White Labs for my brewery. Did you know a sufficient amount of yeast to pitch for a 600bbl batch of beer costs $8,798??

BrewinHooligan said:
Just set up an account with White Labs for my brewery. Did you know a sufficient amount of yeast to pitch for a 600bbl batch of beer costs $8,798??

That's a huge discount!!! I'm you were making five gallon batches at 7$ a pop it would cost you $26040! Your getting a 66% discount. Haha if you were feeling a little bummed about the price I thought I'd throw some numbers at you to make it seem a little better. Cheers and good luck with everything. Hope it comes out fantastic.

That's a huge discount!!! I'm you were making five gallon batches at 7$ a pop it would cost you $26040! Your getting a 66% discount. Haha if you were feeling a little bummed about the price I thought I'd throw some numbers at you to make it seem a little better. Cheers and good luck with everything. Hope it comes out fantastic.

Thanks man!! We are starting at 6bbl so it won't be that much. It is a HUGE discount, everything adds up though especially as the scale increases.

BrewinHooligan said:
Thanks man!! We are starting at 6bbl so it won't be that much. It is a HUGE discount, everything adds up though especially as the scale increases.

Oh ok that's only ~2000 beers. It'd probably take me like 3 -4 weeks to drink that. :tank: :drunk: :rockin:

Haha I'm getting ready to boil and add about a 1/4 lb of lactose to a partigyle sweet mild stout. It's a little less than a 4 gallon batch and I've read for 5 gallon batches about a lb is recommended. Should I maybe up the addition to a 1/3 or even half a lb? I don't want it to be overly sweet and my OG was 1.040 with a fG of 1.012. Not overly dry as is but the roasted flavor really dominates the brew and has a slightly thin mouthfeel as this was a partigyle. Was hoping the right amount of lactose would give me both the sweetness I'm looking for and a but more in the mouthfeel department.

Any suggestions?

Oh ok that's only ~2000 beers. It'd probably take me like 3 -4 weeks to drink that. :tank: :drunk: :rockin:

Haha I'm getting ready to boil and add about a 1/4 lb of lactose to a partigyle sweet mild stout. It's a little less than a 4 gallon batch and I've read for 5 gallon batches about a lb is recommended. Should I maybe up the addition to a 1/3 or even half a lb? I don't want it to be overly sweet and my OG was 1.040 with a fG of 1.012. Not overly dry as is but the roasted flavor really dominates the brew and has a slightly thin mouthfeel as this was a partigyle. Was hoping the right amount of lactose would give me both the sweetness I'm looking for and a but more in the mouthfeel department.

Any suggestions?

id stick with 1/4 lb. I am doing a buffalo sweat clone soon that finishes around 1.20 and uses only 1/2 lb lactose

finsfan said:
id stick with 1/4 lb. I am doing a buffalo sweat clone soon that finishes around 1.20 and uses only 1/2 lb lactose

Cool thanks. Always good to get a little nod to let you know you're on the right track. Appreciate it.

Any suggestions?

Go ahead and taste the lactose, it really isn't that sweet. I would personally add 1/2lb myself personally. It gives a creamy texture more than sweetness IMO.

Finally got my SS deep sink and table installed in my brewery (garage) along with two dedicated hose connections w/ filters. One hot & one cold. No more back and forth into the kitchen or utility room for cleaning equipment or carboys!

Not today but this week got 4 1gal fermenters from my buddy to use, think I'm going to brew a brown suga clone for my first one to fill

Just got back from the LHBS. I picked up some bitter orange peel for a Christmas Ale I will be bottling tomorrow as well as some 2-Row, Vienna and Crystal Malt for a Pale Ale I'm brewing Sunday.

Racked an IPA to keg, realizing it stopped at F.G.: ~1.016, not cool. About to go buy some stuff, to brew another batch.

finsfan said:
I really hope you meant 32.5#

I think he meant 325! Shade brews commercially if i read his posts in here correctly. Which is awesome by the way.

Im brewing a belgian dubbel as we speak and have alot of time on my hands during this 90 min mash at 149F obviously due to all my posting here.

And drinking alot. You're welcome Beer!

I really hope you meant 32.5#

Like Dave said I am in a brewpub so it is commercial 3bbl system.

I also learned that if I load the mash tun up to the max I can expect 6 stuck sparges :tank: The good thing is that it saves me time because I didn't want to do this brew in 2 half batches.:mug:

Like Dave said I am in a brewpub so it is commercial 3bbl system.

I also learned that if I load the mash tun up to the max I can expect 6 stuck sparges :tank: The good thing is that it saves me time because I didn't want to do this brew in 2 half batches.:mug:

This addresses something I have been considering as I'm shopping for my brewhouse.. What system are you using? I am looking at Stout's 3bbl electric brewhouse and 6bbl fermenters and have been curious about big beers on that scale.

Made up a brewday checklist earlier, will be working on the water profile for a rye amber next, and will be running to the LHBS to get grains, hops, and yeast so I can pump out 20 gallons this weekend.

This addresses something I have been considering as I'm shopping for my brewhouse.. What system are you using? I am looking at Stout's 3bbl electric brewhouse and 6bbl fermenters and have been curious about big beers on that scale.

Made up a brewday checklist earlier, will be working on the water profile for a rye amber next, and will be running to the LHBS to get grains, hops, and yeast so I can pump out 20 gallons this weekend.

PM inbound so we don't toss this thread off track

campbelldm1 said:
Bottled up my Pliny clone. Super excited after a little sample

I bottled my AHS Pliny clone last week. I got weak and threw a bottle in the fridge wayyyyyy too early. It tasted awesome In a green beer, uncarbed kinda way. My advice is patience...

;-)

I finally found glycerin in a store (avoiding shipping cost more than it is) to finally start my yeast freezing project. Yesterday I found the crazy cheap 1/2 inch x 50 ft copper tubing at a Home Depot near work for a new chiller.

What have I done for beer today? ... Hmmm ... I worked to feed the habit (I sure hope that doesn't mean I have to join AA from that admission). Then I cleaned some empty bottles so I could use them for homebrew. Then I needed to free up some space in the beer fridge for new brews. Scratch that ... Still clearing out space...

I still gotta clean a bunch of bottles from drinkin my 2 IPA batches. Robust porter is still finishing fermenting atm. Dang it's chilly in here...but it's good for the beer anyway.

I went to my LHBS for the first time, turns out it's in a trailer park. Very nice people, seems like a decent stock of stuff, picked up a 5 Gal Glass Carboy and a few other bits and bats.

EDIT: I am in the UK ;)

I racked two buckets of porter into carboys after washing said carboys. Kegged an IPA. Brewed 10 gallons of Yoopers Oatmeal Stout. Cleaned all of my brewing gear. Andirons just made a huge lump of bread dough with spent grain flour and extra run off from the MLT. Now I'm drinking. Thanks to Unionrdr for getting me into spent grain flour.

Looking forward to serving up a cranberry rhubarb blonde ale at a Pre-Thanksgiving dinner tonight, as well as popping the cork on my first bottle of cherry saison.

Drove an hour one way to meh tooele to support a new local brew pub. The brewmaster used to work at the local home brew shop, I think he started as a home brewer.

If you want some great beer and you're in Salt Lake area it's worth the drive to Tooele for Bonneville Brew. I brought 5 growlers home.

To Ol Goliat Imperial Stout, To Ol Mine is Bigger, To Øl **** Art - Let's Dance, De Molen Hel & Verdoemenis, De Molen Hel & Verdi Barrel Aged, Evil Twin Aún Más Café Jesús, Evil Twin Even More Jesus, Evil Twin Femme Fatal Yuzu , Bierbrouwerij De Koningshoeven B.V. and Urthel Hop-It - De Leyerth Brouwerijen.

Had to drive an hour to get these. :)

Bottled a Christmas Ale just in time to allow for 4 weeks in the bottle before chilling to drink. This one should be good.

ChristmasAle_004.jpg

Not as much as I wanted to.
Was given a free fridge so had to transport it. Then found out GFCI outlets and fridges aren't good. I had to change out the GFCI for a standard outlet. I had to clean the crap out of the fridge. It was wiped down but the amount of gunk and dog hair inside was too much for me to ignore. Before all of this I had to build a table for my miter saw because the cabinet it was on won't let me store my lawn mower under it. I'm starting to be limited on space. I still have more garage organizing to do.

Hello said:
Not as much as I wanted to.
Was given a free fridge so had to transport it. Then found out GFCI outlets and fridges aren't good. I had to change out the GFCI for a standard outlet. I had to clean the crap out of the fridge. It was wiped down but the amount of gunk and dog hair inside was too much for me to ignore. Before all of this I had to build a table for my miter saw because the cabinet it was on won't let me store my lawn mower under it. I'm starting to be limited on space. I still have more garage organizing to do.

Sounds like a pretty productive day to me.

Transferred an English IPA to secondary for dry hopping with some Whitbread Golding. Stole a sample on the way and it was quite tasty!

Finally got moved into the new house, which has a nice outbuilding that is perfect for brewing purposes. While my wife was gone, I moved all of my equipment in there and set it up how I like it. It will still be quite some time before I'm able to brew, but I'm that much closer at least.

I just put 5.5 Gals of Edwort's Haus Pale Ale in the fermentation chamber..and now enjoying a Belgian Blond home brew. :mug:

HausPaleAle1.jpg

Back