Second AG - American Wheat Recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TwoHeadsBrewing

Reaction score
For my second AG, I'm thinking an American Wheat. It should be a good comparison to my extract batch of the same variety. However, I need some help here on the recipe formulation...here's what I got so far:

6.00 lb White Wheat Malt (2.4 SRM) Grain 54.55 %
5.00 lb Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 45.45 %
0.50 oz Centennial [10.00 %] (60 min) Hops 16.1 IBU
0.50 oz Williamette [5.50 %] (30 min) Hops 6.8 IBU
1.00 oz Williamette [5.50 %] (5 min) Hops 3.5 IBU
1 Pkgs American Wheat Ale (Wyeast Labs #1010) Yeast-Ale

My equipment is a 5g cooler MLT, and I'll be doing a batch sparge. My first AG resulted in a 70% efficiency, so based on that I come up with these numbers:

Est Original Gravity: 1.053 SG
Est Final Gravity: 1.012 SG
Estimated Alcohol by Vol: 5.35 %
Bitterness: 26.5 IBU
Est Color: 4.1 SRM

Your input is greatly appreciated!

My only suggestion would be to put some rice hulls in for better sparging and better efficiency! Otherwise the recipe looks good, simple.

Definitely use rice hulls. Your OG looks about right with that effiiciency. Personally I think 30 minute hop additions don't do too much for you. Either bump it up to bittering or down to flavor at 15 minutes.

How much rice hulls would you recommend? I've heard they provide extra enzymes for the wheat, is that correct?

I did almost the exact same recipe about two days ago. I used about 3 handfuls of rice hulls; presoaked them in water for about an hour so I wouldn't have to worry about grain absorption. I haven't ever heard anything about extra enzymes from the rice hulls but I didn't read into it too much.

Neal :mug:

I would add 1/2# of rice hulls. I usually put in a full# on 10 gal batches. I would also recommend a time change on the 30 min addition. I would change it to a 15 or 10 min. You don't need the bittering in an AW that the 30 min addition would give you. Cheers, Gabe

Thanks for the info, I'll definitely throw a 1/2# of rice hulls in there. I think also that I'll increase the wheat on this recipe by a pound, and decrease the barley. I really want the wheat flavor to come out in this brew since the last extract batch I did was very similar to my pale ale.

Back