Significant color change during secondary fermentation?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rhamilton

Reaction score
See attached. Is this normal? Call me paranoid but this is my first batch.

ForumRunner_20110915_204335.jpg

Holy crow. I haven't seen that before. But it could be the yeast doing its work... How long has it been in the fermenter?

Yes it's normal, as yeast is falling out of suspension it, along with the refraction of light that happens in carboy, makes the beer appear to change color.

It's perfectly normal.....

Relax

New at beer and could be way off, but most of my wines do that, is most likely just the yeast settling out. If you watch that lower section of lighter color with all the floaties in it will get smaller every day till its all clear and dark.

7 days in primary where it was the bottom color 100%. Color change started shortly after racking to secondary. It was about half an inch dark at the top this morning, the pic is 20 hours after transfer to secondary. I'm thinking of doing a taste test.....

7 days in primary where it was the bottom color 100%. Color change started shortly after racking to secondary. It was about half an inch dark at the top this morning, the pic is 20 hours after transfer to secondary. I'm thinking of doing a taste test.....

don't bother, like i said it's normal.

Stepaway_copy.jpg

there's a ton of threads from nervous noobs like you showing the same thing.

lol at nervous noobs.. i feel like im always worrying about something homebrew related ... specially now that im venturing into AG..oh well celebration ale is inspiring me right now to relax and think positive thoughts

All you do is wait giving it plenty of time then bottle it,you cant do much more in between except brew some more drink some more learn some more.
At first there is alot to really think about and learn and its normal to dwell on something and become paranoid about it, it is the unknown and the thinking that begins paranoia and causes a little panic and in most cases you need a straight answer for releif.As alot of us like to say its hard to screw up beer if you cant make pancakes or chili it may be challenging.Beer is simple but complex when making really good beer but obtainable finding the right technique/ingredients...

Yea, I can't relax and have a home brew because this is my baby, as soon as it is drinkable, I'll drink it while I brew the others :D

You will never make great beer if you drink your beer once it becomes 'drinkable'. Most beer need to age awhile. But we all asked less informed questions, not dumb, just less informed when we first started.

Back