Dry Hopping question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RukusDM

Reaction score
I brewed a Lager back around the begining of January. Ferment @50 degrees was completed and its been lagering at @35 Deg since then.

I have never dry hopped before, and I was concidering doing that. I racked it to a glass carboy a few days ago and put it back in to continue lagering.

My question is, can I just drop some hop pellets into the glass carboy and let it go for another month?

After another month I was concidering adding Polyclar if there still was any chill haze and gelatin if needed.

1. Yes, you can just drop the hops in. Some people choose to use a hop bag. I have done both.

2. A month of dry hopping seems like a long time. Most ale recipes call for dry hopping 7 to 10 days prior to bottling. I have dry hopped for 2 weeks before but never month. Maybe someone else on here has done month?

This brings up a very good point; one that I was wondering as well: Does dry hopping at cold temperatures slow the process? I understand that at normal ale fermentation temps you should not dry hop for more than two weeks or grassy flavors will be introduced. In a lager, should you (or can you) dry hop longer due to the cooler temps?

Latest posts

Back