UK homebrew

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

frothy

Reaction score
Hi y'all

I only got back into brewing a couple of weeks ago after a somewhat 8yr hiatus (is that how you guys spell it?) Just finished my Microbiology Degree at Warwick University UK and I remembered when I made some Lager from a canned kit back when I was about 14yrs old......... it was crap. It's a good job it was crap otherwise I wouldn't have considered it such a respectable challenge to take on Beer Making now. It really is a challenge and from internet research I see that in the USA you guys have some really great ideas when it comes to semi-industrial homebrew techniques. In the UK the equipment available is small, low tech' and relatively very expensive. I don't think very many people are into homebrew and those that are have already gone on to create microbreweries such as my local Frog Island http://www.frogislandbrewery.co.uk/ . Without the inspiration of a few american home brewers sites I would never have though of using stainless beer kegs as boiling kettles/ processing vessels. I remember at first seeing some peoples RIMS/ HERMS systems and really having difficulty getting my head around what was going on with the Mashing/ Sparging etc etc but happily after about a month of casual research on the web its amazingly clear and cheap and well awesome; my first batch is currently on the go, a malt extract with saaz aroma hops and fuggles bittering - it's very dark almost like a stout because I used 1.6kg dark malt extract and 1.5kg medium. I've called my first brew "Uni-brau" get it?

Future Planns - Full grain HERMS system with a counterflow cooler and 50L sankey keg kettle instead of my current 2gal jam pansion "femtobrewery" (5gal batches)

Oh yes and how bloody confusing is it that 5gals (~19L) american isn't the same as 5gals UK (~22.5L)? :)
ThankGod you have a thriving homebrew community - because the UK certainly doesn't.

all the best
Matt Willmott

Welcome aboard Matt!

frothy said:
and how bloody confusing is it that 5gals (~19L) american isn't the same as 5gals UK (~22.5L)? :)

As a UK Homebrewer (and i consider this site my cyber home at least ;) ) i use US gallons for beer.

1 US Gallon = 3.8Litres , 5 US Gallons = 19litres as you say.

It means that all the recipes i read here i don't have to re-convert to UK gallons with the hop/fermentable calculation headaches attached. Plus it means if you can bottle in 38 500ml bottles (assuming you start with 10% more wort - 21Litres to allow for the racking to secondary!):tank: [/quote]

frothy said:
Hi y'all
Oh yes and how bloody confusing is it that 5gals (~19L) american isn't the same as 5gals UK (~22.5L)? :)
ThankGod you have a thriving homebrew community - because the UK certainly doesn't.

all the best
Matt Willmott
How on earth did they come up with those silly measurements anyway?
You might be surprised at the number of UK brewers here. I'm sure they will have a lot of information and assistance for UK specific questions.

Welcome to the forum! :mug:

Caplan said:
Welcome aboard Matt!

It means that all the recipes i read here i don't have to re-convert to UK gallons with the hop/fermentable calculation headaches attached. Plus it means if you can bottle in 38 500ml bottles (assuming you start with 10% more wort - 21Litres to allow for the racking to secondary!):tank:
[/QUOTE]

Thanks guys

I think I'll follow your lead there Caplan, I'm hoping to get a Corny keg system sometime and of course they're still 19L. If your interested I found a guy in studley who can get them for £20 + VAT - http://www.beer-coolers.co.uk/id4.html
He's got an Ebay shop called "Beer Coolers Unlimited"

Matt

Back