Help making simple grain mill

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bms8ball

Reaction score
I'm trying to make a grain mill, but a lot of blueprints that I have found require a machine shop to create. I am looking for a design that I can do in my garage, with a little help from Lowes/Home Depot/etc. I am wondering if anyone has come up with a mill design that is not very intricate, and uses common, easy-to-find parts to create. Thanks everyone!

I think the easiest DIY mill is a ziplock and a rolling pin. :) Honestly tho, I haven't seen any DIY mills. I have a MM2 which is awesome, but definitely would require machining if you wanted to make something similar.

Hard to maintain tolerances to .001" with a drill and a hack saw.
On the otherhand... I have seen some pretty ingenious grain mills. Do a google search for concrete grain mills.

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kcZZ1DW2siU[/ame]

Plus a whole thread here on this site that goes on for a gazillion pages.

Yeah, the ugly junk corona mill thread

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f256/my-ugly-junk-corona-mill-station-90849/

has tons of ideas...

I don't do the bucket-in-a-bucket version. My mill body is mounted deep enough in one bucket so that I can put the lid on the bucket . Cut a hole in the lid so that the small hopper that comes with the mill can fit on the mill with the bucket lid on and voila, built-in dust control. I use an old arrowhead water bottle with the bottom cut out as a larger hopper (the neck of the bottle fits nicely into the small metal hopper).

Similar to (and inspired by, if I recall correctly): https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/my-ugly-junk-corona-mill-station-90849/index15.html#post1308996

So 1 corona mill for $25, 1 homer bucket & lid $4, 1' scrap 2x4, a handful of screws, 1 long hex bolt to fit the mill $1ish, 1 corded harbor freight drill to drive it $10.

I already had everything but the mill and drill, so I was only put $35 plus a half hour of tinkering. I would recommend a slightly better drill than the cheapest harbor freight model, though. I can just barely get through 12-14lbs of grain before it starts to get hot.

The one time I tried to condition my grain prior to milling, the drill couldn't handle it. I had to finish by hand.

Very happy with it otherwise.

Thanks for all the feedback! I plan on trying it next weekend, when I am on vacation.

I'm trying to make a grain mill, but a lot of blueprints that I have found require a machine shop to create. I am looking for a design that I can do in my garage, with a little help from Lowes/Home Depot/etc. I am wondering if anyone has come up with a mill design that is not very intricate, and uses common, easy-to-find parts to create. Thanks everyone!

If you search on google "modified pasta machine grain mill" you can find some good ideas. It is pretty cheap and it works. I used it for many batches before moving to the more professional Monster Mill MM2.

I've been toying with the idea of a DIY mill myself as well, there are lots of industrial supply places near me but without a lathe there isn't much i can do in the way of steel rollers. The rest of the mill I can do on a drill press, adjustable rollers can work around my tolerances on the frame, but the rollers have to be spot on. I can source it out, but then might as well get one of the existing mills for less.

Back