Scratch *glass* carboy?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mattlins

Reaction score
Everything I read says that glass carboys are impossible to scratch. So that prevented me from using much caution while scrubbing my primary with the brush.

After I had rinsed it and was closely inspecting it for residue. I noticed a bunch of, what look like scratches in the neck of the carboy. They are black and where the metal part of the brush was rubbing while I was trying to get in the nooks and crannies.

They are close enough to the top that I can feel them with my finger. They feel completely smooth to me, yet I can not wash it off. The are there permanently.

Should I buy a new primary for my next batch? Or just relax?

:mug:

I've done that with my carboy brush as well, not scratches, just the metal, or corrosion on the metal rubbing off on the glass, it'll clean up with a bit of scrubbing with a green scrubby sponge. Also glass is not impossible to scratch, just really hard! (Don't take a diamond bit to it or anything...)

I have the same thing...I just soaked it in oxy clean for a few days. It got rid of a little bit, but not all. I've used it a few times since and had no ill effects. As long as you sanitize well it will be fine.

Back