German Wheat Beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Willy Boner

Reaction score
:mug:Going to get ingredients for an ale I brewed a long time ago. I'm making an 8 GALLON batch. I've tried to replicate this a few times but could not find the same yeast at my LBHS. They have it in stock now so I'll try again. Here is the recipe for an 8 GALLON brew.

11# Wheat LME
1# Munich
.5# Crystal 40
3 oz. Tettnanger@ 60 min.
1oz. Cascade@ flameout

Wyeast 3333 Probably 2 pkgs.
I tried a couple of different White Labs Bavarian but always got too much clove esters, try to keep this one a little warmer maybe.:mug:

Not sure I'd put Crystal in a Hefeweizen.

Also, to keep the phenols/esters down, try fermenting in the low 60's. IMO, the internet addage that low temps=clove and high temps= bananna is false. High temps accentuate higher ester and phenol production. I've had the same wort femented with the same yeast at 63 and 70+ by a local brewery. The warmer ferment was bananna city. The lower one was a great Hefe with just enough phenol and esters.

Not sure I'd put Crystal in a Hefeweizen.

Also, to keep the phenols/esters down, try fermenting in the low 60's. IMO, the internet addage that low temps=clove and high temps= bananna is false. High temps accentuate higher ester and phenol production. I've had the same wort femented with the same yeast at 63 and 70+ by a local brewery. The warmer ferment was bananna city. The lower one was a great Hefe with just enough phenol and esters.

yep. keep under 70 to supress banana, clove, and bubble gum. won't go away, but won't be cloying.

that recipe looks weird for a hefe. hops at flamout?

:mug:Going to get ingredients for an ale I brewed a long time ago. I'm making an 8 GALLON batch. I've tried to replicate this a few times but could not find the same yeast at my LBHS. They have it in stock now so I'll try again. Here is the recipe for an 8 GALLON brew.

11# Wheat LME
1# Munich
.5# Crystal 40
3 oz. Tettnanger@ 60 min.
1oz. Cascade@ flameout

Wyeast 3333 Probably 2 pkgs.
I tried a couple of different White Labs Bavarian but always got too much clove esters, try to keep this one a little warmer maybe.:mug:

I have a standard RyePA at home that I use Wyeast 3056 with. It is a blend of Ale and Wheat yeasts and has less banana and clove profile. I really like that 3056.

How about an WL American Hefe Yeast? I am going to try it out next brew to avoid the bannana/ clove taste, but still fill it out with all or most of the noble hops.( don't have mittelfruh)

:mug:I got this recipe from Gambrinus's mug website, it is supposed to be a clone of Widmer's Hefe. Why they stuck in the Cascades, I don't know but, I went with Halletauer instead anyway. This was one of the first ales I brewed just starting out. The LBHS was out of the American Hefe yeast from White Labs and suggested the Wyeast 3333 German Wheat. Boy it turned out good!
Just saying that there is a big difference between German Hefe's and American Hefe's.:mug:

If it was originally a clone of Widmer Hefe that explains it. That beer is an American Wheat, not a Hefeweizen.

If it was originally a clone of Widmer Hefe that explains it. That beer is an American Wheat, not a Hefeweizen.

Yeah, that's kind of what I figured. Just a little of Cascades to impart a little NW Beer Nirvana to the brew. I brewed this today with the German Wheat 3333 from Wyeast. Neat to experiment while not straying too far from the recipe.

Back