Wlp700 Flor Sherry

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tiroux

Reaction score
Hey guys! I'm going a try to a sherry mead of some sort. I bought a vial of wlp700 and did some research. I've read it is only effective between around 14 and 16%. It dies around 17%abv.

My plan is a sweet mead with sherry yeast in secondary.I was planning on using 71b Narbone yeast.. but according to my readings here, it can reach as high as 18%. At that level, the sherry yeast will definitly dies instantly.

Considering I want a sweet finish, like in a sherry, what sould I do?

1- Ferment completely dry to around 14 or 15% with 71b, cold crash for a longtime to get out the yeast, then add enough more honey and the sherry yeast to get 16-17% and a sweet finish.

2- Begin with a really high gravity, ferment until de 71b poop out, I guess around 18%, then cold crash, dilute with distilled water to reach around 15% and then add the sherry yeast and let it eat the residual sugar

3- Use a primary yeast that will poop out at 14%. Which out?

On big beers It seems to work better to introduce more sugar later on in the process rather than hitting it all at once. That being the case, I would think the same would hold true for sherry strains. Certainly nothing bad would come from late additions of honey, I don't know what contributions you expect from the 71b over the sherry strain, if they are close enough you may not need the sherry strain, if you need the flavor from the sherry strain more than from the 71b you may want to use it first. I would also plan for a big introduction if you do add the sherry strain later, so plan for a good 2L starter build up prior to adding the honey and sherry strain.

I really want to sherry flavors. But for what i've seen and read, the sherry yeast is used in secondary to develop a pellicule.

I'd make a 19% potential alcohol wort/honeywater and let it hit it's peak. Maybe not sherry related, but I have heard that at marsala (madeira?) wineries they kick the barrels around in the sun during lunch break....

Yhea but the sherry yeast will die instantly...

How come? Will the initial sugar prevent any initial fermentation? If so, maybe look at zygosaccharomyces, which I know will tolerate high sugar but intermediate alcohol. It's what ferments 50bx musts for traditional balsamic vinegar.

How come? Will the initial sugar prevent any initial fermentation? If so, maybe look at zygosaccharomyces, which I know will tolerate high sugar but intermediate alcohol. It's what ferments 50bx musts for traditional balsamic vinegar.

? I'm not putting sherry yeast in primary.

Back