What I did for beer today

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Brewed a 10 gallon batch of a Belgian Dubbel, dry hopped 20 gallons of IPA, and made a yeast starter for a 10 gallon batch of black IPA which I hope to brew Friday.

Took a gravity reading of the stout I brewed 10 days ago.
Looks like it's a stuck fermentation.
Stirred it gently and am raising the temp to 68 to see if that helps.

Bottled up some cider, to make room for beer.

image.jpg

Got my new kegging eq in the mail. Called the only place in town that will fill your CO2 (not swap) to hear that they close at 5. Left work 30 minutes early to get there by 4:45, only to find the door locked and a sign stating that they close at 4:30. I'm so mad, I'm just going to swap my brand new bottle for an old crusty one (and save $10)

Why not get an old crusty exchange tank but put down a deposit instead of swapping out your new shiny tank? Then you can get the new one filled at your convenience and have a spare

Pressure canned a crapton of starter wort. Spring's around the corner, and there will be a ton of brewing starting soon.

I brewed up 6 gallons of Centennial Blonde. I wound up overshooting my preboil volume so I did a single gallon batch of "miscellaneous pale ale" with some leftover centennial leaf hops.

5 minutes left in the boil for 10g of my American Pale Ale. Rebuilding the pipeline after a rapacious holiday
season.

Bought grains for the next three batches, yeast for one of them (already have yeast and hops). Also bought 4 cases of bottles, need to build up my stock again, I was throwing away a lot during the holidays.

So far I've cleaned out my new kettle and RIMS tube with hot circulating PBW. Filled the HLT be arranged things to brew later after the kids go to bed.

My first answer was "shoveled 2' of snow for a bottle of Missing Elf" but then realized that's not exactly what the OP meant. ;)

So, I checked on my Snoatmeal Stout (cooked yesterday on the porch in blizzard conditions) and it's bubbling away in primary.

Racked my Triple to secondary for additional conditioning and my ipa to secondary on to dry hops.

Picked up some 1318 and 007 yeast along with 30lbs of golden promise. Got to get my pipeline going

I bottled an ipa, brewed another ipa, bought a fermenter and filled it with about 3.5 gallons of cider for swmbo. It's been a good day for booze.

Tried to use my old plate filter again for the first time in probably 7 years. Well it worked in theory per the picture. It seemed to not be moving at all, so I stopped after about 5 minutes.

Now the filtered one tastes extremely oxidized. I will try again in a few weeks using a coarse pad. But next time I am going to first purge the filter housing and then fill it with clean water. I will also make sure the beer is 100% non carbonated.

View attachment 1453858148413.jpg

Took a hydro sample of my BPA fermented with the antwerp strain and added gelatin. Finally was able to pick up some founders. After seeing so many posts featuring founders beers im glad it made it to san diego.

Edit: added stuff i did for beer

Founders is a godsend. Their porter is my absolute favorite. I actually have a clone brewing now. If you like their stuff, their lead brewer is very willing to help with recipes!

Tried to use my old plate filter again for the first time in probably 7 years. Well it worked in theory per the picture. It seemed to not be moving at all, so I stopped after about 5 minutes.

Now the filtered one tastes extremely oxidized. I will try again in a few weeks using a coarse pad. But next time I am going to first purge the filter housing and then fill it with clean water. I will also make sure the beer is 100% non carbonated.

I was just thinking about this myself. I used to have the Mr Gasket velocity stacks on my 4bbl carb'd small blocks that had a thin foam filter in the top. I had to put in some cleaner & squish it to get the air bubbles out, then the same thing in the thin oil used on it to help trap dirt, yet let plenty of " clean" air through.
So in this case, purging those air bubbles with water first seems like it would cut out the oxidizing factor?

I was just thinking about this myself. I used to have the Mr Gasket velocity stacks on my 4bbl carb'd small blocks that had a thin foam filter in the top. I had to put in some cleaner & squish it to get the air bubbles out, then the same thing in the thin oil used on it to help trap dirt, yet let plenty of " clean" air through.
So in this case, purging those air bubbles with water first seems like it would cut out the oxidizing factor?

That's my hope. I read the instructions again afterwards (should have done it before...), and they recommend pushing a gallon of boiled hot water through the filter first to remove "any papery flavors". I ordered some coarse pads (5 micron) and will try it on my next kegged beer. I will probably overdue it and push a half gallon of star san, then a gallon of hot water into a spare keg. Leave it full, then push the beer through it. Once I get clean beer into the out line, I'll swap to the serving keg. Another part that lets me know I should have read the instructions first is that it says it should take 45 minutes for 5 gallons. I felt like I wasn't getting flow after 5 minutes and quit.

Basically, big failure on my part due to impatience and not reading instructions.

Founders is a godsend. Their porter is my absolute favorite. I actually have a clone brewing now. If you like their stuff, their lead brewer is very willing to help with recipes!

Awesome cant wait to try them out. It was late by the time i got home last night and after a fat @$$ burger i was ready to knock out. That makes me very happy to hear man ill most likely send him an email after a few pints.

I bought some oak chips (finally!) and got them soaking in some bourbon to add to my winter warmer in a couple of days. I will later be lightly toasting a couple ounces of cacao nibs to add to said winter warmer, just tonight.

Back