Krausen overflow: how much yeast did I lose?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

marrho

Reaction score
I'm on the 2nd half of a 2 step starter and didn't leave enough head room in my starter vessel. I had a good amount of krausen escape out the airlock. Not concerned about contamination but since it's a starter, I'm concerned about the yeast I lost. I'm assuming the krausen overflow carried out yeast cells...correct?

got any pictures? how much do you think escaped? i would be okay with still pitching and be fine for the fact you are making healthier and more yeast cells, so the bit escaped i doubt made too much of a difference, how heavy was your wort?

Thanks for replying. Sorry...no pictures. There was about 1/8 to 1/4 cup of nice creamy stuff outside the jar. I had 3.3L in a 1Gal jug. Still about the same liquid left but not much yeast in the bottom (maybe 1/4"). Still fermenting pretty well after 16hrs into 2nd step. Wort is around 1.080 and using Wyeast 3787 Trappist HG.

Since it's still fermenting well (and still losing krausen) is it safe/advisable to move half to another vessel?

Latest posts

Back