How lazy are you?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Orfy

For the love of beer!
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I couldn't be arsed cleaning wine bottles today so I went and bought 30 new ones. They cost me more than the wine that went in them.

Don't tell SWMBO.....

rod said:
i just cleaned 59 beer bottles.
i hate it when you find ciggy butts:mad:

If they're yours...serves you right.

If they're someone elses, stop giving them beer until they
return your bottles clean.

If they are new to you, I would be hard pressed to use them.

never smoked - never will
was short of bottles and took what was given me.
i told him if he wants beer for bottles - keep the butts himself

Time = $

If you can save some time by spending a few $ it's often a good trade.

You can always get more $ you can't get the time back.

abracadabra said:
Time = $

If you can save some time by spending a few $ it's often a good trade.

You can always get more $ you can't get the time back.

Ahh, but remember it was most likely the time (your's or someone else's) that got you the money in the first place :D.

I refuse to pay for new bottles. I'd rather have the beverage that goes in them.

rod said:
i just cleaned 59 beer bottles.
i hate it when you find ciggy butts:mad:

For me, ciggy butts = dealbreaker. The ones I get from the bar are almost always fine, but the handful I've found butts in went right to the trash. It's mostly in my head, I know, but they've been defiled and cannot be filled with my delicious beverages. :D

zoebisch01 said:
Ahh, but remember it was most likely the time (your's or someone else's) that got you the money in the first place :D.

I refuse to pay for new bottles. I'd rather have the beverage that goes in them.

Agreed.

Note however, I said often a good trade not always.

Example: on vacation I'll trade money for time. While both are limited, time is more limited in that instance.
Another is taking the bus, the bus saves money but takes a great deal more time.

Every instance need proper evaluation. In this case time seems more important to Orfy than money. But he also seemed to be conflicted about what he had done.
So I was merely trying to help him realize the true nature of the situation.

People don't often realize that they are trading their life (time) for money. What is more important in the end? All that money won't buy you more time.

abracadabra said:
Agreed.

Note however, I said often a good trade not always.

Example: on vacation I'll trade money for time. While both are limited, time is the more limited in that instance.
Another is taking the bus, the bus saves money but takes a great deal more time.

Every instance need proper evaluation. In this case time seems more important to Orfy than money. But he also seemed to be conflicted about what he had done.
So I was merely trying to help him realize the true nature of the situation.

People don't often realize that they are trading their life (time) for money. What is more important in the end. All that money won't buy you more time.

That was a pretty deep analysis. I approve and agree. Sometimes it's worth it to get high end or additional equipment, because on balance, it's saving you a lot more time than the amount of time it took to earn the money to buy it.

That's one of the reasons I usually don't do full 60 minute boils with my hops, as a matter of fact. :D

agreed w/ abracadabra completely...

About a year ago I was working 60 hours weeks... I had to tell my boss I wanted to cut back to 40 cause I didnt have a life. I was preparing for work at 8am, driving in, working from 9-7, and getting home somewhere around 7:30. That means during the week I literally had ~4 hours a day to myself. Two extra hours may not seem like much, but over a year that equals over 21 days extra work time. Thats a hobby or a badass vacation right there (or a life). Sure I wasn't making as much at the end of the week, but the cost (in my time) was too great!

I did the same thing Orfy. I was having a hard time finding wine bottles so I bought 2 cases at my LHBS. I'll never do that again! I'll definitely be asking for the bottles back when I give my wine to folks.

abracadabra said:
People don't often realize that they are trading their life (time) for money. What is more important in the end. All that money won't buy you more time.

Tell that to some who's dying at 60 years old and has no health care while watching rich folks live well into their 80s because they can afford the care.

There are times where having the cash can make a huge difference in buying you more time.

But I do understand your point, to be sure. I certainly pay for things on vacation for prices I would never pay at home.

A $15 cheeseburger? At home-- hell no. On Maui, delivered to my hammock, with the expectation of a tip? Oh yeah. Or more practically: $100 mpore to stay in a hotel at the event I'm going to? Yeah-- I'll pay that. Pay someone a premium so that I can get right to the relaxation I'm there for? Damn right.

kornkob said:
Tell that to some who's dying at 60 years old and has no health care while watching rich folks live well into their 80s because they can afford the care.

<looks for a dieing 60 y/o>
All that money won't buy you more time. BTW you shoulda planned better in your 20's and 30's

PS thats one generation I'll never feel sorry for

De- labeling and washing bottles is really easy. If the process is too long get some buddies to help. The whole process is a huge draw to the hobby for me. Helps me connect with the final product. Very economical too.

Just cleaned 55 12 ozers this weekend. Let em soak in oxyclean and rinse em. Not really much to it. I admit that I tell all my friends to rinse first and no garbage in them. If I find mold, crap in em I just toss em. I have to admit that bottling with 22 ounce bottles is faster but I prefer the 12s cause they are free (sorta) and you don't have to give away as much of your beer. :)

Sanitize and bottle my IIPA on Friday cause it's Spring holiday!

Two words:
  1. Oxy.
  2. Clean.

After an overnight soak in OC and a good blast from the Jet bottle washer, there are very few things that can survive on glass intact. Yes, I'll admit, before I knew about the OxyClean trick, I was loathe to spend hours scraping bleach-soaked bottles with a razor blade and cutting myself up and cursing the situation until I was hoarse. But now...it's as simple as filling a tub with solution, waiting overnight, then rinsing thoroughly. I can crank out two cases in no time.

But, hey, whatever floats yer boat.
mat.gif

Yup, I use bleach then oxyclean then hot water and a scrubber.

It was freezing cold out side, I didn't have enough bottles any way and I was pushed on time. So it was buy $12 worth of bottle and bottle the wine or not bother.

I will normally spend the time and save the $$$ because for the last few years I've had more time than $$$ but on this instance I thought spending the $$$ justified the saving of the time (Which is now more limited)

I also justify It with the fact that I am still in front $$$wise with the finished wine.

Amazing!!!! I guess I am just effeciant..... Anytime I crack a beer, I pour into glass, then Take bottle, rinse with hot water, when done drinking I shelf the bottle, for sanitation for next batch.

Works Very Well.

i try to do that savage. sometimes, however, there's times when i wake up fully clothed with empyties(of the 22oz variety) all around, and it's several days before i can clean up the battlefield. i've boutght new cases of bottles to bottle, in place of cleaning...

sAvAgE said:
Amazing!!!! I guess I am just effeciant..... Anytime I crack a beer, I pour into glass, then Take bottle, rinse with hot water, when done drinking I shelf the bottle, for sanitation for next batch.

Works Very Well.

Works very well unless you've inherited a half-dozen cases of 12's from your drunkard friends, none of which have been rinsed out, some of which have cigarette butts and/or mold and/or old insect nests inside, and all of which are covered in labels because they were previously commercial brews' bottles. Then...it doesn't work very well...

158.gif

I almost feel like buying a case of Orval now. My justification shall be the 375 gram bottles that I get that will withstand 5 volumes of CO2. :D

Back