Keg did not seal

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lostforatime

Reaction score
I took one of my kegs that was conditioning and put it in my kegarator this morning. As I was carring it I noticed that it was leaking. When I got the keg I did the bath tub test and there was no problem. What I do is boil the lid and O-ring before closeing the cornie. The keg has been in a closet for 2 weeks. The leak is comming from the lid. Should I just go buy a new lid or do they only face one way? Any thoughts?

Where is it leaking from? The o-ring? the pressure relief? Seems like boiling the lid is a bad idea - there are some plastic parts

I was told a long time ago to make sure that I boiled the lid and O-ring to help it seal. The leak is comming from the O-ring

You can do a couple of things. I'd hit it with pressure and give it a tug to try to seal it. You can also try some keg lube. If you don't have any on hand, you can use a little vasoline. If those don't work - replace the o-ring.

It is a brand new O-ring and when I do hit the gas it bubbles out, is there a certian direction that some lids need to be facing

Do a little keg lube or vasoline and wiggle it around a little when you try to seat it. That should do it.

Almost all kegs leak without some sort of addional help. Most of mine won't reliably seal unless I put a 20-30 psi blast of CO2 on them.

This is another reason why keg conditioning beers is a 'waste' IMHO.

Lube is good. I've never boiled my o-rings, just sanitize. I always check the seal right after loading and re-seat it until it's tight. Whether I naturally carbonate of force depends, if I'm doing a kit & they included primer, in it goes. Otherwise, I force carbonate before dispensing.

I can't imagine boiling the o-ring would be good for it. I'd worry about warping the ring and having it not seal properly. I always fill my corny with star san solution and drop the poppets and lid right into it.

I would quickly release the pressure, and remove the lid. Then quickly reattach the reseal the lid. Hit it immediately with 20 PSI to seal it. If it still won't seal, replace the o-ring, boiling damaged it.

kfgolfer said:
what exactly is the "bath tub" method??

Google tubgirl on the 'net and you'll find out soon enough.:D

In reality, fill your bathtub with water, put the lid on an empty keg, and pressurize it to 20 PSI or so. Put the keg upside down, sideways, etc. in the bathtub. If you see bubbles coming from anywhere, you've got yourself a leak.

Orpheus said:
Google tubgirl on the 'net and you'll find out soon enough.:D

In reality, fill your bathtub with water, put the lid on an empty keg, and pressurize it to 20 PSI or so. Put the keg upside down, sideways, etc. in the bathtub. If you see bubbles coming from anywhere, you've got yourself a leak.

/shudder

What a terrible thing to do to an unsuspecting person...:D

Back