How long do you dry your bottles?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jries

Reaction score
A few questions regarding bottle sanitizing:

I use Idophor to sanitize my bottles. And I have read that Iodophor is only effective if allowed to dry thoroughly. How long do you guys normally let you bottles hang on the bottle tree after sanitizing?

Also I've noticed that it is hard to ever get them totally dry, there always seem to be at least a little mist in there. Is that OK?

Finally, how long can you let the bottles sit on the tree and still be safe? If I wanted to sanitize say on a Thursday, and bottle on Sunday would they still be sanitized?

I use Star San and sometimes use my bottle tree, but usually just dump the liquid out and let the beer push the foam out when I bottle or keg.

Foam is your friend :)

2618427590101759406S600x600Q85.jpg

bubble snake! heh...

I'm with Rich...I use star san, and I just stick em on the bottle tree for a few minutes and then start filling them.

I own iodiphor but I've only used it for conversion testing.

Iodophor does not have to dry completely to be effective.

It need something less than 2 minutes of contact time (I can't remeber the time exactly). This time does not need to be submerged, just wet. I think it is better to use the bottles/equipment when it is still wet but after the elapsed contact time. When they are still wet, anything that gets on the bottles/equipment will be killed, once it dries you do not have that protection. This is one of the reason why people like Star San's foam...it is protecting the equipment. I know other people do it, but personally I do not like to extend the amount betwen sanitizing and bottling by more than an hour.

Most of my knowledge of iodophor comes from a Basic Brewing radio interview with Murl Landman of National Chemicals.

I use Idophor. It doesn't have to dry.

I sanitize my bottling tree for 2 minutes and set it up. Then I sanitize my bottles for 2 minutes and hang them on the tree. Then I get everything set up for bottling.

By the time I start filling them, they are mostly dry anyway.

Back