Extract Double IPA recipies

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jtd6628

Reaction score
Anyone done a double IPA they loved? I think I am going to do this in a few weeks. I like hops and bitterness a lot! I do enjoy the orange flavors that are found in some IPAs. Recipes please.

I really like the AHS DIPA kit. I brewed it as a mini-mash but I bet the extract version would be just as good. It came with 8oz of hops, two of which are intended for dry-hopping. The thing I didn't expect is that all that malt imparts some sweetness behind everything else that's going on (hop bitterness, hop aroma, hop flavor, alcohol bite, etc.). Just thought I'd mention that since it was a surprise to me and might be to you as well. I guess "bigger" doesn't simply mean "the same flavor but more."

cascade IPA

5 gal batch, 3 gal boil

6.6lb Briess Golden LME (60)
3.3lb Briess Golden LME (KO)
1lb Crystal 10L (steeped 20)

2 oz Cascade 60 min
1.25 oz Cascade 30 min
1 oz Cascade 15 min
1.5 oz Cascade KO
2 oz Cascade leaf dry hop

the trick to dry out a extract DIPA, you will want to add some corn sugar or other simple sugar to make up for how they mashed the extract.

This will help in getting a lower final gravity as well as pitching plenty of healthy yeast.

I just did the Ballast Point Double IPA, cant tell ya how it tastes but here's the recipe.

5 gallon batch, 3 boil

11# briess light LME

1/2# 20L dark crystal (steeped 30)

1.5oz Galena @60min
3oz Crystal @60min
2.5oz Crystal @15min
2 oz Crystal @1min

Dry Hop with 4oz Crystal
These were all pellets

White Laps California Ale Yeast

Back