Acid Smoked Ale?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kyles609

Reaction score
Hey, went to my LHBS the other day and they had one of their extract recipes on tap to try. It was really good and had never heard of either ingredient. Here is what they had:

3.3 lbs Muntons Dark Malt Extract
3 lb extra light DME
8 oz Acid Malt
8 oz Smoked Malt
1 oz Galena (bittering)
1 oz Hallertau (aroma)

Beer Smith is saying to do this for all grain:

7.5 Lbs Pale 2 Row
.85 lb Crystal 60L
8 oz Acid Malt
8 oz Smoked Malt
1 oz Galena (bittering)
1 oz Hallertau (aroma)

I have to call and see which liquid yeast to use, I didn't get that yet.

I'm new to all grain, what temp should I steep these grains?150ish? and what do you think for the hop schedule? I'm thinking 60 minutes and 5-10 min? Anyone do one of these or heard of mixing the acid and smoked malt together?

Any comments are appreciated,

I guess just looking to try something new. I've never tasted either malt in a beer, but I really liked the smoky taste. I searched online and didn't find any acid smoked recipes, so was wondering if anyone else had tried it before.

Thanks

Well, the acid malt is going to do one or both of the following; add a lactic sourness to the beer and/or acidify the mash and lower the pH.

Never used it so, I am unsure of the timeline for acid malt.

I would suggest you do a smoked beer only and dose a glass with lactic acid to adjust the sourness to you liking before jumping into a large batch.

Latest posts

Back