Just a question on taste.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bonzailopper

Reaction score
I'm on my tenth day in Primary with a "True Brew Brown Ale" (First batch ever, very excited) I was taking a gravity reading and came up with 1.022. The kit called for a range of 1.010-1.012 for final gravity. I'm not too confident in my gravity knowledge, but I'm pretty sure that means it still has a ways to go. It seems like I'm heading in the right direction though. Honestly I didn't expect my first batch to turn out all that great.

Now, I was in awe of the smell of the beer when I popped the lid that I just had to drink the sample I took for the reading. It tasted very flat to me. I wasn't expecting greatness, I'm just curious if it's any kind of an indicator as to how the beer is progressing. Thanks! HBT has been amazing!:tank:

Well, congrats!!

Actually, it will be flat until you bottle/keg it.

You are correct in that it has a way to go to finish.

Being impatient is a new brewers Achilles Heel...you can be sure the more patient you are the better your brew will taste in the end.

Just as location, location, location is required in real estate patience, patience, patience is required in brewing. Trust your feelings (and gravity readings) and all will be fine.

Sampling during the process, AKA Quality Assurance, is the only way to really learn how wort is transformed into beer. Some of the changes are amazing, some are subtle. Once you've tracked a few, you'll understand the possibilities.

Leave it in primary another 11 days (21 total) and it should be around 1.012. Bottle it with priming sugar (will add the carbonation) and condition it for about 21 days and you should get it nice and carbed up. Sounds like it's right one track! good Luck!

Use your hydrometer as your guide. When the Gravity is the same for at least three days, you are good to rack to secondary (if using) If not using a secondary, I would just leave it in primary for four weeks.

Patience is key.

Latest posts

Back