The Destroyer of Worlds: Hops!!! Dogs!!! Pics!!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Evan!

Reaction score
So I'm all set up to brew TDoW tomorrow. It's an imperial IPA. 12.5oz of hops. Mostly Willamette. F*ck yes.

Anyway, here's Xander and Sadie just for good measure, and then my hops all measured out and labeled with their addition time.

4914-DSC_0005.JPG

4914-DSC_0057.JPG

4914-DSC_0063.JPG

Uh, that's a lot o' hops. Wish us luck...:ban:

Evan! said:
So I'm all set up to brew TDoW tomorrow. It's an imperial IPA. 12.5oz of hops. Mostly Willamette. F*ck yes.

Anyway, here's Xander and Sadie just for good measure, and then my hops all measured out and labeled with their addition time.

4914-DSC_0005.JPG

4914-DSC_0057.JPG

4914-DSC_0063.JPG

I thought this was a dog food discussion

Actually, I send my cooled wort through this big 50L SS MLT that has a false bottom in it. The false bottom keeps the hops from traveling to the carboy, and the hop bed actually acts as a filter for a lot of the solids.

Bearcat Brewmeister said:
Nice GSPs!! The people behind us have one too. I almost got one 8 years ago, but we went with Brittanys instead:

that's awesome. Love the cocked heads. Ours somehow always manage to rotate their heads in different directions than the other one...it's too funny. Though, I commend you on having a longhaired dog. Sadie sheds more than enough as is, I can't imagine if her hair was several inches longer.

Evan! said:

4914-DSC_0063.JPG

I still think you should have gone for 200 IBU. :D Let me know how it goes.

As others (Jamil) have noted, you put Pliny into Promash or Beersmith and it says something like 250 IBU's...but gas chromography tests put it at 65 or so. So I'm not gonna waste any more Galena if it's not really going to do much for me...plus, I'm already gonna lose at least a gallon of liquid in all those hops! I have my final volume right now set at 6.25 gallons, just so that I can get 5 in the fermenter.

Evan! said:
As others (Jamil) have noted, you put Pliny into Promash or Beersmith and it says something like 250 IBU's...but gas chromography tests put it at 65 or so. So I'm not gonna waste any more Galena if it's not really going to do much for me...plus, I'm already gonna lose at least a gallon of liquid in all those hops! I have my final volume right now set at 6.25 gallons, just so that I can get 5 in the fermenter.

If Jamil says it then I'm sure it's true... but I'm going to brew a 200+ IBU IIPA soon... hop prices and gas chromography/mass spectrometer tests be damned!

Evan! said:
As others (Jamil) have noted, you put Pliny into Promash or Beersmith and it says something like 250 IBU's...but gas chromography tests put it at 65 or so. So I'm not gonna waste any more Galena...

I think Jamil also notes very quickly, though that even if you are not getting more IBUs out of the hops, they are not being "wasted". Even if it is not giving you a true IBU, it will add flavor, aroma, and more than likely the perception of additional bitterness even though the GC won't tell you its a true IBU. Not trying to say that you need to start adding more hops to your beer, but if you did you wouldn't be "wasting" those Galenas, per se, they would add somthing to your beer. May not be worth the cost at this point in time, but they wouldn't be doing nothing.

Evan! said:

Why don't folks squeeze the hops when their done, you should be able to recover a bit of liquid...right?

/noob

Good lookin' shorthairs. Damn fine bird dogs.

Evan! said:

4914-DSC_0005.JPG

4914-DSC_0057.JPG

4914-DSC_0063.JPG

Evan! said:
As others (Jamil) have noted, you put Pliny into Promash or Beersmith and it says something like 250 IBU's...but gas chromography tests put it at 65 or so.

I think that, once you get past about 70 IBUs (or maybe less), it gets to be like black holes. The formulas just fall apart and make no sense. I'll take that chromotography reading as true.

TL

I might add some Galena on the fly, but we'll see. I'm glad I got that 60qt kettle...those hops are gonna take up a LOT of space...

srm775 said:
Good lookin' shorthairs. Damn fine bird dogs.

Yeah, they're awesome, though neither of them are trained hunting dogs. Sadie (the older one) is timid and freaks out at the sound of gunshots or thunder. Xander, the younger one, is a hyper lunatic, and we can't let him off the leash or he'd be gone forever. We rescued both of them and so you never know how they were treated before we got them.

That, and I just hunt deer, not birds.

I guy I used to hunt with had GSH. They were the most obediant dogs I have ever seen. He did raise them as hunters from puppy-hood, but it was incredible. I have a 100% american mutt dog. His mom did not discrimiate.

hows brew day going?

Evan! said:
Yeah, they're awesome, though neither of them are trained hunting dogs. Sadie (the older one) is timid and freaks out at the sound of gunshots or thunder. Xander, the younger one, is a hyper lunatic, and we can't let him off the leash or he'd be gone forever. We rescued both of them and so you never know how they were treated before we got them.

I don't hunt mine either. They have good instincts though and the one on the right came from champion hunting bloodlines. She started pointing moths at 4 months. They have killed birds in the backyard, once snapping one out of mid-air. The other one may be a small part Springer - we got him from American Brittany Rescue.

BTW, the cocked heads come from me holding a dog biscuit right above the camera.

Ryan_PA said:
I guy I used to hunt with had GSH. They were the most obediant dogs I have ever seen. He did raise them as hunters from puppy-hood, but it was incredible. I have a 100% american mutt dog. His mom did not discrimiate.

hows brew day going?

brew day roxxord! kicked all sorts of ass. hit my postboil vols...wort chilling took no time at all because of the cold...and my OG was 1.088, which is about 80% eff.

Evan! said:

That's too bad ... I've hunted with shorthairs for the last 20 years. When those dogs are hunting, it darn near seems like they're smiling. It's what they were bread for, trained for and love to do.

Either way, those are some good lookin' dogs ... you might want to get the older one some "Just for Him" beard & mustache dye, that muzzle's lookin' awefully gray. :)

Back