Is something growing in my beer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

phooka

Large Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I am very much a n00b when it comes to brewing. I have only done maybe 7-8 batches total during the last year. My most recent batch has been in the secondary for uhm maybe a month? How long is too long in the secondary? I haven't really been paying much attention to it. I also don't recall seeing previously stuff seemingly growing on the sides of the fermenter [ see pic ] Is this bad? Should I just toss it or go ahead with bottling/kegging? :drunk:

DSC00397.JPG

Thanks!
dale

Looks like you just racked alot of trub from the primary, and it decided collect on the sides. No big deal. Just yeast and stuff. It's funny, though...what's up with that bulge in your carboy where it stops?

Looks like you may have a yeast infection in your wort :ban:. If it has stopped bubbling test the SG. If SG is under 1.014 rack into a secondary or if this is your secondary, rack into a tertiary fermenter (try to not stir up the trub while doing this (that white stuff at the bottom). Let this sit in the carboy until it is finished fermenting (your SG doesn't change after 3 checks within 3 days) or after 2 weeks if it's done fermenting to allow any remaining suspended yeast and trub to settle. Then keg/bottle condition and enjoy :mug:

Oh it is well fermented. I racked it to the secondary over a month ago. The primary started fermenting within 12 hours and went for about 6 days. I let it set in the primary a few more days before racking to the secondary. It had already settled but after moving to the secondary it bubbled out the airlock lightly for another couple of days. So, it's been sitting in the secondary for about a month. (too much going on!! arrg)

The bulge in the secondary is just that. A bulge that runs like a ring around the carboy, there are a few of them.

Thanks

dale

phooka said:
The bulge in the secondary is just that. A bulge that runs like a ring around the carboy, there are a few of them.

We have some old glass water bottles we use as carboys. I've noticed that yeast seems attracted to the bulges sometimes. In this pic it looks like the yeast is a bit thicker there and doesn't cling above it. Very odd.

Maybe the bottles are indented at the bulge a bit?

Latest posts

Back