Other than the physical tower, what is needed for kegerator?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NoNothing

Reaction score
Right now I have a 2 keg kegerator. Both kegs and a 10lb CO2 tank fit inside my kegerator. I only have picnic taps on my kegs right now due to a lack of funds for a tower. If I were to bid on just a tower on ebay, just the metal tube, what other parts would I need to finish up the kegerator.

I have the tubing that goes to my picnic taps right now, could I just snip the ends off with the picnic taps and hook those suckers right up to some taps? Im going to buy the perlick forward seal faucets once I get around to it. I guess I just dont understand what other hardware is needed for a tower, and what I have to do to hook it all up. Is there a special way to get the taps on the tower, get the hose on the taps? And what the hell is a shank!?

Thanks for all the help

When I got a tower it came with taps and hoses. Hoses connection was for a Sanke keg. i just cut that off and got a hose barb fitting to firt my pin lock cornies.

instead of a chrome tower I build a wooden bar/box with 2 taps for my keggerator, I think maybe I saved a little doing that. All that you would need is the wood, 2 faucets, 2 shanks and the barbs that go to the lines.

Faucets
Shanks
Components

I think the bar/box looks a lot cooler than the ebay tower, but thats just my opinion.

oh, and a shank travels through the wall of the tower and attaches to a barb to which the beer line is fitted. You can use the line from your picnic taps if you'd like, likewise with the ball locks.

Before you bid, you should ask what exactly is included if they haven't already listed it. Most of the ones I've seen on ebay are complete system (tower and faucets) but every once in a while, there are auction on there that are just the tower (especially for ceramic towers).

Things you'll need that won't be included are hose clamps and bolts to attach the tower to the kegerator.

NateKerx,

Do you have any photos of your bar/box? I would love to see that, and doing something myself would be a lot more fun than buying something premade. Heck, thats why I brew beer instead of buy.

Here are a couple pics (of coffin boxes) from the gallery
Picture_036.jpg

here's the build thread for this kegerator (keezer)

KeezerSortaDone.jpg

and here's the build thread for this keezer

Mine is a little more modest than the ones above, I'm using a sanyo 4212 fridge and have 2 taps. I dont have at the moment but have been meaning to put one up, I'll snap one and post it tonight.

Right now I have a 2 keg kegerator. Both kegs and a 10lb CO2 tank fit inside my kegerator. I only have picnic taps on my kegs right now due to a lack of funds for a tower. If I were to bid on just a tower on ebay, just the metal tube, what other parts would I need to finish up the kegerator.

I have the tubing that goes to my picnic taps right now, could I just snip the ends off with the picnic taps and hook those suckers right up to some taps? Im going to buy the perlick forward seal faucets once I get around to it. I guess I just dont understand what other hardware is needed for a tower, and what I have to do to hook it all up. Is there a special way to get the taps on the tower, get the hose on the taps? And what the hell is a shank!?

Thanks for all the help

How well is your current setup, with the picnic taps on the inside, working out? I would guess you aren't losing too much coolness, since the kegs and CO2 tanks are huge cold sinks.

I may go with the picnic taps for a while, and gather the parts for a really cool build over time. I haven't decided which way to jump, initially.

How well is your current setup, with the picnic taps on the inside, working out? I would guess you aren't losing too much coolness, since the kegs and CO2 tanks are huge cold sinks.

I may go with the picnic taps for a while, and gather the parts for a really cool build over time. I haven't decided which way to jump, initially.

It works out just fine. I have the fridge at 45* and it rarely turns on. Even when I am opening the door a ton with some buddies over it sticks right around 45*.

It works great for me right now untill I can muster up spending $150 on a tower and perlick's.

Here is a pic of my current setup. No tap on the right keg right now, its still conditioning. Sorry for the bad quality, the iPhone cam is a peice of shi-
IMG_0314.JPG

Latest posts

Back