Hop Utilization if Mash efficiency is lower than expected

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pirate252

Reaction score
Is there a simple way to correct hop additions if the pre boil wort is at a lower gravity than anticipated by the recipe? Ran a quick search couldnt find anything and am wondering for next time I come up way under :)

Thanks

You can probably tweak the recipe in a recipe calculator to get the IBUs back where you wanted them to be.

But, unless your recipe is for a bigger beer (OG > 1.055) I don't think it is necessary.

When playing with ProMash one day I found that my IBUs pretty much stayed the same as long as my OG was under 1.055. Once I got above 1.055, the IBUs started to drop a little.

The easiest way to do this is to take whatever calculator you used to design the recipe and go back into it and start lowering your efficiency until you see the OG that you actually achieved. Then, back of on the bittering hops in your recipe until you get what you want.

Most people can't detect anything smaller than a 10 IBU change and you would have to have a major loss of efficiency to shift the bittering that much.

Back