Am I about to see hops on my plant?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrewFrick

Reaction score
I have a cascade bine growing and it has just reached up to about 3 1/2' tall, I planted a little late in May and the plant is very healthy and growing quite a lot each day. Temps have been upper 90's up to low 100's and we have had some rain and I water when the soil is not moist. I noticed that the bine is now forming side shoots under each two leaf pair up the length, about 10 side shoote so far. I understand that this is the precursor to hops from my readings on the forums. As these are first year hops I don't expect much from them but it seems that they are healthy and the day length and temps here are good. Do the side arms mean what I think they mean?

I think so, you should see little spur looking things that will grow into hop cones. Of the 3 plants I started this year, only the cascade has produced any cones, but so far they have not had much aroma.

Back