So, uh... how big of a vessel was I supposed to use for a 1 L starter?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alpo

Reaction score
Because I was using a 1 L flask with a stir plate and it erupted everywhere after about 36 hours. Started with 500 mL and stepped it up another 500 mL after 24 hours.

Yeah, yeah, it sounds dumb, but I had done it a bunch of times now with no problems, but this is the first time I've used this yeast (WLP001 Cali Ale). Also, it never really gets to 1 L anyway, between boil off and evaporation, more like 750 mL.

I had the same type of thing happen with a starter of Wyeast American Ale Yeast. I was doing a 1 pint starter in a 1 quart mason jar. Next time I'll be using something that's at least 3 times bigger than my starter. I hate to think of how much yeast I lost because of that.

Yeah, luckily I have a day left before brewing and the OG is only going to be about 1.050, so I'm not that concerned about it, other than the mess it made.

Back