Aventinus and gunk at the bottom?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Schoffleine

Reaction score
I was at Spec's today and spied some Aventinus. I'd heard good things about this beer so I got a bottle to try it out.

When I got it home I noticed it had gunk in the bottom. Is that supposed to be there? It's labeled as 'bottle fermented' so maybe it's yeast? But wouldn't fermenting inside the bottle be dangerous due to exploding if it was capped and contamination if it wasn't capped?

Just trying to figure out what this stuff is before I drink it. Not sure if it'll hurt me or not but I assume when I pour it the stuff is going to come out with the beer too.

Bottle conditioned means it was indeed carbonated in the bottle. That is how many homebrewers carbonate their homebrew. Pour your beer slowly until the last quater inch or so to minimize the yeast in the glass. I always drank the last bit out of the bottle anyways.:D

I would chill it for two days before you drink it. Make sure it is upright and that yeast will compact pretty well for you. Then decant as Blender has said. You can get to less than 1/4 inch if you have a good pour and the yeast is compacted enough.

I pour 3/4ths of my Aventinus in the glass, swirl the bottle to suspend the yeast, then pour into the glass through the head. Good stuff.

Back