Simcoe Recipes

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrewUO

Reaction score
So I'm looking to brew an IPA tonight using only simcoe hops. I extract brew with specialty grains. Can anyone help me out with a good recipe. Or even some hints on what grians I should use and how much? Yeast?

Side note: I brewed the 06.06.06 beer about 2 months ago now and man... strong stuff and hasn't come together yet. Should be a good halloween beer.

Thanks,

BrewUO said:
So I'm looking to brew an IPA tonight using only simcoe hops. I extract brew with specialty grains. Can anyone help me out with a good recipe. Or even some hints on what grians I should use and how much? Yeast?

The easy answer is choose an IPA recipe that you like and modify it to single-hop with Simcoe.

Grains: I brewed an extract IPA with a friend, 9 lbs light LME + 1 pound caramunich that came out quite nicely. This gets you an OG in the 60s. An American style IPA is pretty-much all about the hops, so a simple grain bill is appropriate.

Yeast: Again, you really want the simcoe hops to be the feature flavor. I'd just keep it simple and go with WLP001 or Wyeast 1056.

I'd go with a hopping schedule something like 60, 20, 10, 2 + dry-hop, shooting for IBUs about 90% of your OG. (like maybe 1.065 OG and 58 IBUs).

Back