Sanitize bottles, good for how long?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rook

Reaction score
Hey guys, how do you go about keeping sanitized bottles clean? I was thinking of putting plastic wrap over the bottles after cleaning them so that they'd be all cleaned and sanitized for me on bottling day, yah know, space my workload out a little bit.

I hesitate to just fold over the cardboard flaps of the case, doesn't seem like a good idea to me, nor does storing them upside down in the case.

Ideas?

You really can't keep them sanitized for any length of time. You can keep them clean, of course.

I rinse them out after pouring and keep them upside down in cardboard boxes with some newspaper to absorb any drips.

They stay that way until they go into the sanitizer solution on bottling day.

Sanitizing bottles gets my head right for the task ahead. Gives me time to think about the process and what I need. Really it's kind of a mindless thing to do that allows plenty of time to think. (lots of tasks can be treated this way) 5 gallon bucket with iodophore and hot water getting 6-7 bottles in there to soak for a few minutes and draining, putting them upside down in the dishwasher.

Peeling labels and washing, now that's boring.

just wash the bottles out and store them "clean". You really need to one step them right before beer goes in them.

apparently you can fold foil over the tops and bake.....howtobrew.com says this is possible and has a chart on doing it..

in fact my first batch of baked bottles is in the oven right now! 350 for an hour but I'm going to bottle tonight so I'm not sure about the long term storage..

I'm doing this bc i'v got some plumbing problems at the moment.. (plumbers an hour and a half late already!!) and normally I just run them through the dishwasher before I use them....it's an easy way to sterilize while I'm getting other stuff done.

good luck
take it easy

Back