A pack of porters

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Otterella

Reaction score
Midwest accidentally sent me an extra kit this month. It's a basic porter kit. I want to play around with it, and I'm thinking of racking it into 5 separate 1-gallon jugs with different adjuncts. Here's what I've come up with so far:

Chocolate Covered Cherry Porter - make compote from fresh cherries and stir in some bakers chocolate. Rack a gallon on this.

Holiday Spice Porter - soak cinnamon stick, whole cloves, and fresh ginger in spirits, but I haven't decided if I should use a neutral spirit like vodka or something with some holiday flair like brandy.

Heathered Honey Porter - obviously, both the heather and the honey would be better off in the boil, but since I'm divvying up the batch, I can't do that. Is it okay to rack these ingredients at the secondary? And is it okay to use heather if I'm also using hops, or will the hops overpower the heather?

Doctor Porter - my husband requested a Dr Pepper flavored beer. Not sure what all this would entail, but from my research (I.e. 5 minutes on Google) it will at least involve cherry, amaretto, and vanilla.

For the fifth gallon, I'm thinking of just the plain old porter all by itself, for comparison. Unless someone suggests something irresistible.

Latest posts

Back