Pomegranate Molasses - fermentability?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mike_A

Reaction score
So I just picked up some Sultan brand Pomegranate Molasses, and I'm trying to figure out how fermentable it is and get a guesstimate of how much to use in a 10-11 gallon batch.

The nutrition label lists ingredients: Pomegranate Juice, Sugar, Citric Acid, Caramel.

1 serving is 1 tbsp (30g) and contains 20g of carbohydrates BUT lists Sugars 6g and Fiber 0g. So I'm guessing the remaining 14g of carbohydrates are just complex ones? Are these additional non-simple sugars fermentable?

Each bottle contains 14 servings of 30g or 420g - if it's 2/3 carbs then that's 280g carbohydrates, but only 84g "sugars".

In previous batches, I've used 2L of 100% pomegranate juice to impart a nice pomegranate & tart flavor, and I'm looking to at least maintain that if not amplify it a little bit. Any feedback is appreciated!

Do a fast fermentation test: dilute a bit in enough water to make it fluid, and add large dose of yeast. Leave warm (80-90ºF), and see how much of it ferments in 48h.

Good luck, and let us know what you find. :mug:

Latest posts

Back