brew pot size

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

magarnigel

Reaction score
Right now I am in the process of acquiring all the things I need to switch from extract to all-grain. I was considering getting a 60qt brew kettle but wasn't sure if that would be too large for any reason, when brewing 5 gallon batches while I'm still doing extract. Also, when I start all-grain, I will be going back and forth between 5 and 10 gallon batches.
Is there anything I should be concerned with if I have a pot that large?

I got 2 60 qt aluminum pots from a place in California(online) called royalpalmeventsupply.com. Last time I checked their site, it seemed like they were going out of business, but I could be wrong.
I paid $84 shipped to my door for both. Try that link.

Right now I am in the process of acquiring all the things I need to switch from extract to all-grain. I was considering getting a 60qt brew kettle but wasn't sure if that would be too large for any reason, when brewing 5 gallon batches while I'm still doing extract. Also, when I start all-grain, I will be going back and forth between 5 and 10 gallon batches.
Is there anything I should be concerned with if I have a pot that large?

I have been where you are.

2 things to keep in mind when buying a brewpot.

#1 When buying a brew pot - Bigger is Always BETTER (within extremes)

A lot of people assume if I get too big of a pot, my stove won't be able to boil the water. What they fail to realize is that except under extreme circumstances, the size of the brew pot has NO effect on how well your stove will boil water. The amount of water you put in the pot effects that.

Just because you have a 10 gallon pot, does NOT mean you HAVE to put in over 2 gallons of water.

#2 what material to use when buying a brew pot.

Some people ONLY buy stainless, But do not put down aluminum. Some brewers swear by it. It is a long debate here on the forums, but the aluminum heats water a LOT faster than stainless. Also with the length of time the water is in the brew pot, there is very little chance of it picking up any taste from the aluminum.

As far as links to pots. Ill give you 2 good ones. Stainless or aluminum.

10 Gallon aluminum Stock Pot
10 Gallon aluminum Stock Pot Lid

10 Gallon Stainless Steel Brew Pot WITH lid

thanks scorch,

looking for a 15 Gal pot..a buddy and me want to do 10 Gallon all grain batches and even on that site they are $250

I don't mind using alluminum but my buddy is a head chef at a restaurant and WILL NOT use them for anything other than boiling water...I know I know, that is what we are doing in this instance but he has his beliefs and I will be damned if I am going to change them lol

I have been where you are.

2 things to keep in mind when buying a brewpot.

#1 When buying a brew pot - Bigger is Always BETTER (within extremes)

A lot of people assume if I get too big of a pot, my stove won't be able to boil the water. What they fail to realize is that except under extreme circumstances, the size of the brew pot has NO effect on how well your stove will boil water. The amount of water you put in the pot effects that.

Just because you have a 10 gallon pot, does NOT mean you HAVE to put in over 2 gallons of water.

#2 what material to use when buying a brew pot.

Some people ONLY buy stainless, But do not put down aluminum. Some brewers swear by it. It is a long debate here on the forums, but the aluminum heats water a LOT faster than stainless. Also with the length of time the water is in the brew pot, there is very little chance of it picking up any taste from the aluminum.

As far as links to pots. Ill give you 2 good ones. Stainless or aluminum.

10 Gallon aluminum Stock Pot
10 Gallon aluminum Stock Pot Lid

10 Gallon Stainless Steel Brew Pot WITH lid
Thanks. I had never really considered aluminum but looking at the prices, I think I will do a little more research into it. Worst comes to worst, I could buy an aluminum one to use for now and later on buy stainless if I'm not happy and retire the aluminum to a HLT.

Latest posts

Back