Chill haze...how to eliminate it?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gwapogorilla

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Yep, another chill haze thread. I have been doing homebrew for about 6 months and about 10 batches under my belt. But, I just can't seem to get rid of that darned chill haze!:(
All of my beers are ales, as I don't have to ability to lager yet. But I use whirlfloc and a wort chiller...I get my wort down to 70* within 15 minutes. I leave all of the break material behind and my beers are crystal clear in the bottle...until I chill them!
Now, I realize the haze has absolutely NO effect on the flavor what so ever, but people who pour my beers are looking at them funny because they are not clear.(Spoiled by their canned commercial lagers). Try to explain chill haze to them,,,but it's too late. They already have a taste opinion of the beer before it even hits their lips!
So, How do I get rid of it? Leaving my beers in the fridge for 3 weeks is not an option...cold beer needs to be drank in this house!:rockin:

Time. My beer "keged" starts to clear at the week and a half mark. Two weeks and its better.

There are a lot of finings and techniques that can help eliminate or reduce chill haze. A little web research can turn up quite a few, but those I'm aware of include:

Whirlfloc / Irish Moss
Cooling the wort as quickly as possible
Cold Crashing
Gelatin (works best when combined with cold crashing)
Isinglass

Cheers!

After using irish moss or the like & chilling the wort in 20 minutes or less,the only thing left is time. As soon as the bottles get cold in the fridge,chill haze forms. It needs 3-5 days on average to settle out. No way around that. 1-2 weeks in the fridge gives better head & longer lasting carbonation anyway.

+1 to time and refrigeration. Gelatin will get the job done if your in a hurry, but I've heard (and in my opinion, experienced) a slight stripping of flavor when using finings.

If you have space or can acquire it, put them in a fridge or temp-controlled freezer at a few degrees above freezing. Basically "lager" (cold condition) them for a week or so and you will have just as clear if beer as you would with finings.

Actually, White Labs has a newish product out, and they were handing out samples at NHC, called Clarity Ferm. I haven't tried my sample yet, so can't attest to how well it works, but supposedly it reduces the proteins that cause chill haze AND it significantly reduces gluten, by some sort of pixie magic apparently.

Might be worth checking out.

Guys, how and the heck can you leave a beer in the fridge that long!?
Once it's cold...it's calling my name!

Plan ahead.... have beer already ready to drink :)

(That being said, my first couple batches when I DIDN'T have finished product were painful lol)

I can understand clarity ferm reducing protiens,as do other fining agents. But what purpose is there for reducing Glutens? I thought the germ in the kernals was where the protiens are?! Kinda sounds like a double negative...:drunk:

Is it just me,or did the amount of trub in the without bottle go down by the time you showed them on the white sheet? It looked like the without bottle got disturbed a bit?...

Back